• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

greenfields

I have to just say this, I do feel that if you advertise your address on your website that says you are a rabbit rescue, and that you have a sign outside your house saying that you are a rabbit rescue, it's likely the people who want to dump rabbits somewhere but want them to be found and cared for probably will do so at your doorstep.

If only she'd remove her address from the website and remove the sign from the front garden (may have done this now I guess) there would possibly be no need for a CCTV camera.

Just a thought.

I have to just say this, I do feel that if you advertise your address on your website that says you are a rabbit rescue, and that you have a sign outside your house saying that you are a rabbit rescue, it's likely the people who want to dump rabbits somewhere but want them to be found and cared for probably will do so at your doorstep.

If only she'd remove her address from the website and remove the sign from the front garden (may have done this now I guess) there would possibly be no need for a CCTV camera.

Just a thought.

But it may also make people more aware that the rescue exists in a positive way, having worked in petshops I met plenty of people who didn't know you could adopt a rescue rabbit. Swings and roundabouts I think, but you can hardly blame rescues for people dumping rabbits.

Just a thought.

I completely agree!

But it may also make people more aware that the rescue exists in a positive way, having worked in petshops I met plenty of people who didn't know you could adopt a rescue rabbit. Swings and roundabouts I think, but you can hardly blame rescues for people dumping rabbits.

No, not blaming rescues in general, but in this instance, Lorna stopped actively rescuing in Jan 08 (I used to work there) so to complain about rabbits being dumped without actively making changes which would prevent this happening quite so much is a bit daft. The site is a private house down a cul de sac on an estate so no passing traffic to speak of. Having a sign up outside an otherwise anonymous home is inviting people to know what you do.

No, not blaming rescues in general, but in this instance, Lorna stopped actively rescuing in Jan 08 (I used to work there) so to complain about rabbits being dumped without actively making changes which would prevent this happening quite so much is a bit daft. The site is a private house down a cul de sac on an estate so no passing traffic to speak of. Having a sign up outside an otherwise anonymous home is inviting people to know what you do.

But unless the sign specifically says "Dumped animals welcome", it's still not an invitation to dump them.

But unless the sign specifically says "Dumped animals welcome", it's still not an invitation to dump them.

No it's not, but we know that this happens all the time. Even when people know that folks just have rabbits, they can end up dumping them, you don't have to be a rescue.

My point in this particular case is, that if you are not a rescue any more and don't want people to see you as one, then you need to do all you can to make them understand this (by telling people, updating your website, removing your address (most rescues I know don't even put their address up in the first place) and taking down your sign). If you don't do this, then don't complain that people still manage to find their way to your door.

I don't in any way condone dumping of animals under any circumstances and rescues should not be subjected to this - it's a way of feigning responsibility if you are the person doing the dumping and also a way of jumping the queue. I wonder how many people dump their bunnies after attempting to get them taken in and because they are asked to go on a waiting list.

Whether she had a sign up or not, or was indeed a rescue, I believe rabbits would still get dumped there. Lorna is well known in the area.

Lorna is one of the most organised individuals I know and that is why she attracted so many fantastic volunteers. They worked very hard to improve rabbits lives in Berkshire for 8 years. Its very sad that Greenfields has come to its end, as we know it, but I have no doubt that Lorna will not be to far from rabbit welfare in whatever capacity she feels able to continue. Once again, I send them my best wishes and hope to get up there soon for a coffee.

PS Helen, you and I posted at the same time.

Last edited:
Back