• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blind bunny any help needed

deja224

Alpha Buck
Hi im new here so hope this is in the right place!

Took on a bunny the other day, Shes very small and skinny, when i picked her up she was very jumpy but alot better when i held her close to me, he had watery eyes (no muck) I put her in the hutch (its big 4 foot by 2 foot and tall) She laid flat and was breathing very fast, i watched her for 5 mins and could see she was in a shear panic, i moved her to our dogs cage she laid flat they raised her head and touched the side of the cage she then when around the pen via the edges and settled, she had her tea ect.

I had her booked in the vet beacuse of her eyes and he did some test and found she is blind, The eyes look clear (no white or cloudy parts) i have been told it may be better to be pts which i feel is not needed she eats and drinks and when she knows where she is will hop about, does any one else have a blind rabbit?

What other care will she need?

There is no need to PTS just because she's blind. Eyesight isn't a rabbits primary sense anyway. So long as she call smell and hear she'll be fine. Just try to ensure she has a safe environment and don't rearrange things too much. Give her tasty treats and nose rubs if she'll let you and she'll be happy :)

thank u

made me feel better! i have told every 1 she will do just fine, he loves to be fussed, her eyes are still watery any tips on cleaning them? i bee using weak salt water and cotton wool.

I would find a new vet if they advised PTS for being blind :censored:

My Stitch was blind and he was the friendliest rabbit ever and other than his sight was completely normal :)

You will have to be extra patient with her and keep furniture etc in the same place, make sure there is nothing she can hurt herself on lying about.

If you find a new vet ask them about the tear duct problem.

Good luck with her and we all look forward to piccies :D

A good vet could try to flush the tear ducts under general or local anaesthetic. Sometimes they are permanently blocked though

Fire that vet and get one that has compassion to an animal. Before you fire that vet, ask him if he would dump his wife or kids if they were blind.

Your bun is hyper because she's frighten of not familiar w/ the surrounding. As long as you put the water bowl, the hay and the pellet bowl at the same spot everyday, she'll know the rest. When you walk near her, just make some noise so she know you are coming.

Many members here have rabbits that are blind and they live a long and natural life.

Back