• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stasis?

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Ok now with a few buns getting Stasis lately im worried mine may become ill.
I know there will be posts about this but for future referance
what are the symptoms of stasis?
What is the treatment?
And how can we prevent stasis?

I have a note pad with all bunny related health issues and would like to include stasis as its quite common.

Thanks in advace :D:wave:

The first signs are really subtle but I always consider my rabbits may be ill if they don't come running for food! Ill rabbit may hide away, not want to come out for exercise, may sit up in a hunched way, they may grind their teeth. They may produce different, or no, poo. Always trust your instinct if you think your rabbit is `not right' as it may quickly become too late

So stasis symptoms are just like normal 'ill' rabbit symptoms?
Ok thats good to know!
Is there a treatment or a preventative?

My guess is if your bunny starts to show symptoms get them moving and tempt them with all sorts of things. Ive copied some notes from lots of peoples comments on here....

STASIS
Stops eating and pooing, sits hunched up very lethargic -Very serious needs vet asap!!

Vet should feel for a blockage, if no blockage should give a shot of Metaclopromide to get the gut moving and Metacam painkiller. Both should be administered by injection as it works faster and especially as you dont know what the problem is and whether the gut will absorb an oral dose!

Bunny should then be syringed a recovery food supplement Oxbow or Science Selective. Its quite thick so you can add more warmed boiled water. If bunny still hates it, try adding some baby food ie Hipp apple and pear, apple and banana. Fibreplex is a probiotic prescribed alongside critical care also to be syringed.

It is very important to keep bunny hydrated with warm boiled water (the best) a couple of mls every hour, peppermint tea and a few mls of fresh pineapple juice may alos help.

Offer tasty veg and herbs, basil and dandelion leaves are often a good choice!

Its good to make bunny hop around as this aids stimulation of the gut! You can also rum tummy gently.

Keep bunny warm if he feels cold. If you bring bunny inside to nurse bring in the partner also as the bond may break!

Additional meds: If bunny is not eating over a few days Zantac can be used to stop bunny getting ulcerated stomach when its empty. Zantac for bunnies is a prescription only medicine for rabbits to be prescribed only by the vet and is available in liquid form. This is suggested in FHBs book!

Infacol used for bloat if there is a gas build up in intestines. Infacol is fine to give with the other meds. You can give 2ml first then 1ml every couple of hours along with some gentle tummy rubs.

Triggers are usually stress eg. foxes prowling around, sudden changes in temperature or new things in environment eg. redecoration, new baby etc.; anything that causes a lack of appetite eg. dental pain or a trip to the vet; or something in the diet that has upset the delicate gut balance. It really requires a trip to the vet for pain killers and gut stimulant, also the bun need to be keep warm as pain leads to shock and a drop in temperature. The vet will need to have a feel of the bun to make sure it's not bloat. With stasis it can help to gently massage the buns tum and infacol may help with gas pain. Offer moist, temping foods such as grass, dandelions, herbs etc. It is important to keep the bun hydrated so if not eating anything you may need to syringe feed a liquid diet.

if alvin doesnt come to the front of the cage when i first get up i know hes poorly... the refusal of food just confirms what my gut tells me... he also pushes his belly into the floor a very weird pose which ive only seen when hes got stasis.. last time he even rolled onto his back :( would of looked really sweet if i werent already in dread mode :(

then the fun begins.. i get away with the first grab and i usually get 1ml of infacol into him, then prob about 10ml of water... then its chase chase chase around the cage, waving hay in his face me getting boxed pearl getting stressed and Alvin getting angry.... i like him with fight tho cus i know its a minor case and not the floppy let me do anything bun i had that once...

with me annoying him he will munch hay just to get me to sod off :lol::lol:

last time i think he just had gas and not stasis tho cus he was eating within 2 hours :D:D

Thanks thats great info and is now in the bunny book :D
Its just with Blackie passing away im so worried and every little thing has got me going. I have to check the bunnies every hour and if i see no poo i get them moving which causes alot of poo. Its just the worry of it happening again so i want to take all precautions.

Thanks guys thats so great :D

Back