• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Obessive lick is this normal??

Gilbertbunny

Young Bun
Gilbert seems to obessively lick things. He spent like 30 mins licking my boyfriends weight so I picked him up and pick him on the bed he jumped off and ran back round to lick it again. So again I picked him up put him on the bed and again he jumped off and went round to lick it again. I was worried might be dangerous for him so i moved it were he cants get it. He also has a thing about licking wood the headboard of the bed, the desk, the door, the doorframe the wooden stool. He also licks the metal bit of his water bottle and the bars of his cage. Is this normal or do i have an insane rabbit?

Milo used to do this all the time!! Is Gilbert a house bun?? You could get him one of those salt mineral licks from a pet shop, Milo loves these!!

Or he could just be in love with your room!!! :D

Does he have a friend to lick? Buns like to spend lots of time grooming thier partner and being groomed :)

He does have a mineral lick, no he is a single bunny but he gets lots and lots of attention. He peed on the bed earlier and i did what your suppose to do soaked it up with some tissue paper and then put it in his litter tray and he started eating it so i took it out again and threw it away.

I wouldnt say he drinks too much or too little I think he drinks as much as he should be.

I would try removing the mineral lick, it may be that there are too many salts in it and that is making him want to lick other things. Try it for a couple of weeks and see if it makes any difference. Personally I think that mineral licks do more harm than good in otherwise healthy rabbits.

My rabbit is a bit of a licker as well. He loves to groom my eyebrows and my boyfriend's arm hair. But probably the strangest is that he loves to lick the toilet. I never understood that one, but my guess is that it has a smooth texture and that it's nice and cold. Maybe he likes licking the cold of the metal? Try giving him cold veggies from the fridge. He just might love it! :)

my freinds bun licks a football lol if they are an only bun they pick something as a substitute bunny, my bunny from 7 years ago used to use my arm to lick and to mate with lol ,,, it could also be hes missing sommatt from his diet this is trial and error but as the other person said they do tend to spend ages licking other bunnies , try a soft toy see waht happens

Most of the bunnies that I have had all liked to lick. They have all been alone though. Bun Buns would lick my neck and Julie licks the kitchen floor. I have to be very careful about what I clean it with. She licks our feet......socks or bare. I have given her a toy bunny and she grooms it and even drags it by the ear into her litter box. She loves me to play with her with the toy bunny and sometimes sleeps with it. The toy bunny has cut down on some of her licking other things.

I think with some of these buns, especially the Youtube one, they are licking to replace the time they would spend grazing in the wild. They need an outlet and its either gonna be the floor, the sofa or a partner. I think getting them to spend as much time as possible eating hay, or grazing on grass in a seed tray would help.

Mine lately spends a lot of time licking my dressing gown when I am wearing it. She never used to sit on my knee but now she climbs all over me when I'm lying on the sofa and licks my dressing gown all over.

I would still try removing the salt lick for a few weeks (well, actually I'd say permanently!) and see if that makes any difference ;)

Back