• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this ok?

hok9

Young Bun
I have 2 male rabbits that live in a cage that is 34x32x28 (inches) i know this is kinda small for the two, but i do let them out for about 2 hours everyday to run and do as they please while I do stuff around my house (mostly keep them out of stuff). I just want to say that i have no room for any bigger setup or i would have done that already. Do you think they are getting enough excercise?

No, I am affraid they are not :cry:
In the UK the minimum recommended hutch size for two medium sized Rabbits is 6ft x 2t x 2ft with a large permanent run attatched.
Rabbits should have at least 8 hours 'out of hutch' time every day

Are your Bucks neutered? If not you are very likely to find they fight. Fighting Bucks can inflict a fatal injury :cry:

I think you need to think seriously about improving the size of accomodation for you Rabbits and most definately allow them much more out of hutch time until you can do so.

ETA I have just seen the pics you have posted on another thread. As your Buns are still babies they obviously aren't yet neutered. So if they are definately 2 Bucks they are very likely to fight when they reach puberty- about 12-16 weeks of age. If you find that one is infact a Doe then they will need to be seperated at 10-12 weeks to make sure your 2 Rabbits do not become 10 Rabbits !!

Last edited:
They are going to get neutered as soon as we can get an appointment with the vet. (It takes about a month) so i will make an appointment in a week or so. I really cant do anything about the size unless I stick them outside on the balcony. I am living in Japan right now and do not have enough room to put up a big cage right now. When we had guinea pigs there cage was 7ftX3ftX5ft. I am sexing them every other day or so and if one is not male i will seperate them immediatley, we also learned that with our guinea pigs (3 turned to 7). Right now they do seem content in their cage, i know it wont last and I will try to get them out more.

If you can not provide the space, you shouldn't have got the rabbits. Simple as!! They need a much better cage than that and they need at least 8 hours out of it.

Do you still have the guinea pig cage? Could you adapt your balcony to keep them on?

LionheadLuver: different countries have different ideas about the way animals are kept. trying to help this person would be good :D

No, i dont have the cage. It was a C&C cage. Like i said, i live in Japan and the places are small. the balcony is not well sheltered and the weather is still too cold for the rabbits.

Some members on here use a "puppy crate" which they customise with little shelves - mabye you could make some extra room for one of these. You could "bunny proof" your apartment (cables etc) which would mean they could get out the cage more. You might also be able to litter train them so they would go back to the cage to poo and pee.

http://www.petsathome.com/find/product-is-v00083

We looked at those too, just to much. here cage does have a "loft" in it which one of the rabbits uses. I will take pics of there cage when i get a chance so you can see it. It is one of the better store bought cages i have ever seen, the floor is not made of wire but plastic so its not as bad on there little feet. I do need to mention that I cant have them out all the time because we are not home or we need to let the kids in the "adult" part of the house. Plus I am still getting the house "bunny proof", we have only had them a little over a week now.

Back