• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rather embarrasing bunny problem :(, anyone??!

Laurapaarl

Young Bun
hmm... well..
Me and my mum are taking our giant french lop to the vets tomorow, hes very well behaved at the vets, hes a calm bunny, and he travels well...
Its all fine... apart from we cannot pick him up, simply cannot!
He completely HATES being picked up, he just wont have it:lol:
We are so worried about what we do when the vet asks us to put him on the weighing table, I know they are used to stuggling animals, But most people can pick up their bunnies right?
What would the vet do?????
hmmm.. What do you think, would the vet think we are pathetic or what? :/
x Thanks =]

The vet could move the scales to the floor so you only have to lift him a very short distance. Most vets are willing to deal with rabbits on floor level if their behaviour dictates. :)

hmm I suppose she might :)
But you dont think she will think we are bad owners or anything?
You know that we cant even pick a big bun up?
x

hmm I suppose she might :)
But you dont think she will think we are bad owners or anything?
You know that we cant even pick a big bun up?
x

I very much doubt it, most vets can apreciate that as prey animals bunnies would rather keep all four paws on solid ground. Mine are always trying to jump back in their carriers at the vets...I have to shut the lid to keep them on the table.

Just explain to your vet before you take her out of the carrier that she can be difficult to handle, I'm sure she or he will understand. :)

ooh Ok, thank you very much for the reassurance, I do get myself into a worried old state over small things :/
xxxxx =] much appreciated

the other option, that i use a lot with cats (they never stay on the scales for a second) is to weight rabbit and carrier together (in waiting room before appt if there is a scale out there) then once you are in the consulting room, let the bun out of the carrier to be examined/fussed etc, while you or you mum go back and weigh the carrier (inc any blankets etc). Take one from the other and you get the weight of the bunny! and no lifting.

If you always use the same carrier (and blanket) you can weigh that then ask the receptionist for some surgical tape and write the weight on it, and stick it on the top of the carrier. Next time you only have to weigh the rabbit in the carrier, and already know the carrier weight, so can calculate it straight away, no worries!

Back