• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How soon can I try bonding?

cumbriabunny

Young Bun
I have an 8 month old dutch doe and have just got an 8 week old dutch buck. When can I introduce them to each other? I would ideally like them to live together.

Are they both neutered? I doubt the 8week old is so i would advise waiting till old enough and neuter, then i would attempt to bond :) Without neutering, you will obviously get babies, but the buck will drive the doe up the wall!

Thanks for the advice - no they are not neutered. We will get him done ASAP - will this make him a better companion for my doe?

Must have posted at the same time!!!

Defo get them neutered and then they should be perfect companions!!! :D

The female needs neutering too,otherwise she may become territorial and hormonal:wave:

There's also a VERY high (90%) risk that she will get uterine cancer at a young age if she's not spayed.

Ideally they should both be spayed, though I know this will be costly. I'd probably get the boy done first (they can be done as soon as their bits drop) then wait a few weeks and get her done.

6 weeks after she's done then try bonding them.

Good luck!

There's also a VERY high (90%) risk that she will get uterine cancer at a young age if she's not spayed.

Ideally they should both be spayed, though I know this will be costly. I'd probably get the boy done first (they can be done as soon as their bits drop) then wait a few weeks and get her done.

6 weeks after she's done then try bonding them.

Good luck!

This is excellent advice. Most males can usually be done when they hit 4 months old but females normally have to wait until about 6 months. Definitely get him done first though as he will drive her mad.

do u have to have both rabbits done? as my male is but not my female she is only round about 4 month old, their cages are next to each other so they know each others smells, ive been told to wait 3 month after operation as my male is still fertile

sorry im a new bunny owner

do u have to have both rabbits done? as my male is but not my female she is only round about 4 month old, their cages are next to each other so they know each others smells, ive been told to wait 3 month after operation as my male is still fertile

sorry im a new bunny owner

Not a problem. IT is advisable to get both done as unneutered females are very likely (80-90%) to get uterine cancer which is very unpleasant. It also helps if your female is a little grumpy and hormonal. You can still mix before this happens or get her done asap then there is no risk of pregnacy. Your male still may be a little frisky so be prepared for some mounting.

Back