• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny proofing cables

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Sounds really daft but what does everyone use to protect cables from bunnies chewing? Strawberry is getting really naughty lately and has just started to chew electrical cables! We cant put them all out of reach due to the location of the plug sockets so is there anything you can buy to protect both the cables and Strawbs?

I used to use that plastic tubing that you siphon water from fishtanks with but apache chewed through it and nearly started a fire :shock:

I have been using inlet hose from washing machines recently, so far so good :)

cardboard and towels and unused panels from the pen.. not very house proud me :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

cardboard and towels and unused panels from the pen.. not very house proud me :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Lol. Im sure I have seen some sort of piping you can buy to slot over the cables. I just cant thing where I would have seen it!

I just use the tubing from fish tanks too. Get the thick stuff and slice it down the middle- watch your fingers. They do chew it but don't get to wire the same.
Has done fine for me!

I just use the tubing from fish tanks too. Get the thick stuff and slice it down the middle- watch your fingers. They do chew it but don't get to wire the same.
Has done fine for me!

careful. ;)

010.jpg

I use plumber transparent hose. I have them for many years, and they work very nicely. The thickness of the hose is very thick, and the diameter is say 0.75 in. So the bun can't open their mouth wide enough to bite it.

And even if they do, the hose is so thick that I can't even cut it easily w/ a cutter knife.

W/ these hose, I cut it along the length of the hose, put the cables inside, then use duct tape to cover back the cut area. Because they are soft, I can bend them in any angle.

I also 1.5 in diameter hose (a short one) to cover the actual plug on the wall.

You can buy cable tidies from poundland! 4 metres for a £1 :D
I use them and Fudge had a nibble realised it wasnt edable and ignore it now!

Thanks guys. Will have a shop round this weekend and see what I can find. I am hoping once he has a wifey bun he will stop doing it as I think its just boredom.

I cheated by buying a sealed-up/enclosed TV cabinet and stuffing all the wires down the back out of the way :roll: the only piece of furniture I have specifically bought with the bunny in mind!

Our entire living room furniture has been arranged in much the same way - furniture in front of every power socket and those childproof 'blank' plug covers for any unused sockets :)

...So she chewed the artificial Christmas tree instead when that went up :lol:

if youre like my mum and hate black or grey loom and dont mind spending a bit more then these are for you..mind you itd be easier for us hoomins to spot the areas they might be chewing at!

http://www.import-cafeuk.com/proddetail.asp?prod=loom1

my mum got this but i have yet to get my hlaf bro to help with the sawing of the stuff...i black out and hey presto..no fingers:lol:

its a posher way..not like us with piping everywhere..:lol:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=220580&&source=14&doy=13m4

guess you could use these in the spots along the conduit where its really exposed a lot!
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0233662

mmm i have a b n q one bookmarked..its not working their site right now:roll:

Back