• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A few questions

Naomi&Crumpet

Warren Scout
Hey, I am new here and I have one male(I think so) rabbit and I am hoping to get a little buddy for him some time soon

- What is the best age to get rabbits neutered?
- How long does it take for them to recover?
- What does it mean when your rabbit rubs its chin on you?
- Is his hutch large enough? L- 116cm, H- 45cm and W- 40cm
- Is it best to get him netured?
- What is the two rabbit dieases called which you can get a vacantion for?
- Will he be happier with company?
- He has P@H pellets with veg and a hay rack is this ok?
- He gets 2 hours a day sometimes more out of his hutch running round the house, he has a run for the warmer weather which has shade for him in the summer is this ok?
- Is it common for a rabbit to have one blue eye and one brown eye?

I think thats the only questions I have for the moment =] I want to try to make Crumpet as happy as I possibly can as when I was younger my auntie used to keep rabbits in a 30cm X 30cm X 30cm hutch and never cleaned them out and she got reported by me as I thought it was terrible, they was all taken off her and she is banned from keeping animals the rest of her life.

I am sure you guys can answer my questions =] thank you

(oops posted in the wrong board sorry I didn't notice =[)

Hey, I am new here and I have one male(I think so) rabbit and I am hoping to get a little buddy for him some time soon

- What is the best age to get rabbits neutered? depends on the size of bunny but usually around 16weeks for males and 5 monhts for females
- How long does it take for them to recover? Males no longer than a week, females about 2 weeks
- What does it mean when your rabbit rubs its chin on you?He is marking you with his scent.
- Is his hutch large enough? L- 116cm, H- 45cm and W- 40cm No this is too small, he should have at least 5ft by 2ft by 2ft.
- Is it best to get him netured?YES!!!
- What is the two rabbit dieases called which you can get a vacantion for?VHD and Myximatosis (spelling?)
- Will he be happier with company?Definately
- He has P@H pellets with veg and a hay rack is this ok?I would put him on a better quality pellet such as A&P, the higher the fibre content the better
- He gets 2 hours a day sometimes more out of his hutch running round the house, he has a run for the warmer weather which has shade for him in the summer is this ok? He really needs to have a run attached to his hutch, especially as it is so small
- Is it common for a rabbit to have one blue eye and one brown eye?Not sure but I cant see why it would cause a problem.

I think thats the only questions I have for the moment =] I want to try to make Crumpet as happy as I possibly can as when I was younger my auntie used to keep rabbits in a 30cm X 30cm X 30cm hutch and never cleaned them out and she got reported by me as I thought it was terrible, they was all taken off her and she is banned from keeping animals the rest of her life.

I am sure you guys can answer my questions =] thank you

Welcome :wave:

Tis nice to have a new member.
Don't forget the most important part of a bunny's diet is hay, and a constant supply. Bunnies teeth are always growing, and it is important for them to eat hay to keep their teeth worn down, and prevent dental problems.
Keep perusing the site... You will pick up plenty of tips, but don't be afraid to ask questions.

Well done rachie j for answering today's quiz!!!:D

He always has hay, He is only a baby at the moment so I will be getting him a new hutch and slowly introduce some high fiber food =]

- What is the best age to get rabbits neutered? Males - as soon as testicle drop from 12 weeks onwards, females - 4-5 months onwards.
- How long does it take for them to recover? Mine took a week before they went back outside.
- What does it mean when your rabbit rubs its chin on you? Marking you and saying "you're mine".
- Is his hutch large enough? L- 116cm, H- 45cm and W- 40cm No, preferably 6ft x 2ft x 2ft
- Is it best to get him netured? Yes, prevents cancers and improves behaviour.
- What is the two rabbit dieases called which you can get a vacantion for? Myxomatosis and VHD/HVD
- Will he be happier with company? Yes, a spayed female is best.
- He has P@H pellets with veg and a hay rack is this ok? Preferbaly switch him over gradually to a higher quality pellet, like Science Selective, Excel or Allen & Page.
- He gets 2 hours a day sometimes more out of his hutch running round the house, he has a run for the warmer weather which has shade for him in the summer is this ok? He should get about 8-9 hours out of the hutch in a run. The run should be as big as possible, at least 6ft x 3ft.
- Is it common for a rabbit to have one blue eye and one brown eye? Yes.

-
- He has P@H pellets with veg and a hay rack is this ok? Preferbaly switch him over gradually to a higher quality pellet, like Science Selective, Excel or Allen & Page.

For clarification the Pets @ Home brand of pellets is as low fibre as the Excel, there is no point weaning your buns off this shop brand to put them onto Excel as they are so similiar. You would be better to wean your buns on to Science Selective which is far more readily available. A&P is even higher fibre however it can be quite tricky to find, if you can find it sold loose locally it is a very good product.

Rabbits only need a tiny amount of pellets even when very young they only need about an egg cup full each. Hay should make up 90% of their diet. As a rough guide buns should eat a pile of hay each day which is equivelent to their own body size.

Just in case you are confused about size of hutches - 5x2x2 (150cmx60cmx60cm) is minimum for one medium size rabbit and 6x2x2 (180cmx60cmx60cm) for two. Basically, each rabbit needs to be able to make three full-length hops and periscope (stand on his hind-legs and look around). Bigger bunnies need yet more space!

As you are going to get a second rabbit (yey!) go for the bigger size with attached run. If you are able, a shed in the garden is a cheaper option - loads of people on here have sheds as their rabbit 'hutch'. They get 24-hour 'run' access that way too.

well, I took crumpet to the vets to get his Mymatosis vaccantion and they aren't sure if it is a he or she so right now I am not sure what would be the best company for him or her =|

- Will he be happier with company?
- He has P@H pellets with veg and a hay rack is this ok?

Rabbits are social creature. So they desire companion of opposite sex, make sure you spray and neuter both buns to greatly reduce their chance of getting cancer.

Your bun's diet must compose of 90% hay. They need a huge amount of fiber. The remaining 10% is pellet, green, fruits and some treats.

The hay is also necessary as it helps them wear off the on growing molars in their mouth. If your bun doesn't have hay stem daily, eventually his molar will overgrow, then you need to have teeth surgery. Hay stem greatly reduce the growing of molar (teeth)

If there is more than say 7% pellet, then your bun will eat the pellet, not the hay. As they love pellets. So you need to control and downsize the pellet and focus primarily on hay, especially hay stem.

well, I took crumpet to the vets to get his Mymatosis vaccantion and they aren't sure if it is a he or she so right now I am not sure what would be the best company for him or her =|

:shock:

Unless the rabbit is very young the vet should be able to sex a rabbit. Lots of vets have problems with this but in my book that makes them a bad bunny vet. Not all vets are rabbit-savvy so it might be an idea to search around for another one. The folks on here might be able to help with one in your area, otherwise try the Rabbit Welfare ASsociation - they have details on their website I believe.

Emma

He (for now) has a dish of pellets but he doesn't touch them, I fill his hay rack every morning and it is all gone by the evening so its filled twice a day there isn't no on the floor in his hutch so he eats a lot of hay, he also has carrots and cabbage which are eaten to, he comes out for around 4 hours now but as he is an indoor bunny I am thinking about letting him have free roam while I am in is that a good idea?

I also have a spare room down stairs which was going to be a 4th bedroom but I changed my mine and I was thinking of making it in to a bunny room where he can have free roam it is quite large is this a good idea?

He is 14 weeks but the vet I saw wasn't the one I normally see but took him back today as the vet called saying they would like to see him and my vet said he was a she so If it is a doe her name is honey if its a buck its Crumpet. They are going to check again in 2 weeks time for her other injection.

So incase you don't want to read all that my two questions are

I am thinking about letting him have free roam over the house while I am in is that a good idea?

I have a spare room down stairs and I was thinking of making it in to a bunny room where he can have free roam it is quite large is this a good idea?

Thank you for your help

He (for now) has a dish of pellets but he doesn't touch them, I fill his hay rack every morning and it is all gone by the evening so its filled twice a day there isn't no on the floor in his hutch so he eats a lot of hay, he also has carrots and cabbage which are eaten to, he comes out for around 4 hours now but as he is an indoor bunny I am thinking about letting him have free roam while I am in is that a good idea?

I also have a spare room down stairs which was going to be a 4th bedroom but I changed my mine and I was thinking of making it in to a bunny room where he can have free roam it is quite large is this a good idea?

He is 14 weeks but the vet I saw wasn't the one I normally see but took him back today as the vet called saying they would like to see him and my vet said he was a she so If it is a doe her name is honey if its a buck its Crumpet. They are going to check again in 2 weeks time for her other injection.

So incase you don't want to read all that my two questions are

I am thinking about letting him have free roam over the house while I am in is that a good idea?

I have a spare room down stairs and I was thinking of making it in to a bunny room where he can have free roam it is quite large is this a good idea?

Thank you for your help

Hi :wave:

I have a house bunny and he has free range of the flat when we are in and we leave him in our bedroom when we are out.

I think having a bunny room is an excelent idea and also my rabbit loves being free range so I'm all for free ranging house bunnies.

You'll need to rabbit proof the areas the bun is going to be allowed access to. Cover all the wires etc so they can't chew them. The bunny room could have cardboard boxes for your bun to play in and different levels aswell.

We gradually introduced Marley to being free range, so that he knew how to use his litter trays properly. We also removed the cage we were keeping him in-this was purely because he stopped using it, I know other members keep the cages for their buns to have a place of their own. Although Marley has claimed under the bed for his own (in fact he thinks the whole bedroom is his :roll:) and he also loves his Maze (which we got from the hay experts). He also sleeps in our bedroom.

We are also getting him a wife bun and can't wait to see them both running about our flat. You could think about getting him a partner in the future (once they have been spayed/castrated).

My advice would be to gradually increase the freedom and search in the forum for litter training tips.

:)

I am thinking about the bunny room for him as it is bigger than my bedroom so he would have a lot of room, I am looking in to getting him/her a pal soon.

Back