• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Interesting conversation with my vet

Phoebesmummy9

Warren Veteran
Ive just rung up to ask my vets when my rabbits boosters are due.
They are telling me Phoebes is due March 09 (which is right because he was vacced in september) and Fletchers apparently isnt due to september, as they say to vaccinate only yearly :shock::shock::shock: (this is just for myxi!!!)
I sent off her to speak to the vet and the vet has advised me to get them all done in april (which will take phoebe and fletcher to a 7 month as this will be the 6 month vaccinated) which will cover the peak season :shock: :shock:
She said its not as important to have your rabbits done 6 monthly if you live in a built up area where there is not alot of wild rabbits, and yearly would be fine
Just asked prices also - £29.75 for a combi vaccine for Myxi and VHD!

Id love to know what everyone elses vets recommended - im really concerned there advising yearly against myxi :(

Mine recommend 6 monthly and that we try to get a vaccine in March/April right at the start of the Myxi season so immunity is built up before the hot summer months.

Do you think its a sign of a bad vet that they recommend yearly :shock: im absolutley shocked to be honest. Im going to book them in this month for thier vaccines anyway im not taking any chances!

Do you think its a sign of a bad vet that they recommend yearly :shock: im absolutley shocked to be honest. Im going to book them in this month for thier vaccines anyway im not taking any chances!

They are definately in the minority with their recommendation, especially as the datasheets for the Nobivac have now been changed to recommend 6 monthly vaccinations too.

my vets saw no cases of Myxi here in the city centre so are happy with yearly injections, i have said i want 6 monthly as i promised the rescue where i got pearl from thats what we would do the vet is also happy with that :D

i think the halesowen branch who is more in the country did see a few cases last year so deffo best to be safe with 6 monthly

Although I live in a built up area, i dont think id be 100% comftable leaving them a year. There is a field within walking distance of my street, and I also have 2 cats that are outdoors, ive never seen no wild rabbits around here mind you but still!
Do you know much about the combi vaccine Sooz?

Well apparently they do a Combi (vhd and myxi) which im assuming like you said is the myxi and the vhd given 2 weeks apart? but the way she said it, it sounded like.. 1 vaccine :?
How confused am i :lol: She got a bit flustered on the phone when i was asking are they sure it was ok to give myxi yearly :lol:

I've seen it recommended on here that annually is fine if you're not in a high-risk area.
To be honest, views are changing constantly or are still disputed amongst different vets - for example, a preference for the new VHD vaccine to prevent some post-vaccine sideeffects, the best treatment for stasis/bloat, concious vs anaesthetised dentals. I'd go with your gut feeling of the vet and their general knowledge of bunnies

TBH my vets are fab and bunny savvy, but they have previously told me to vaccinate every 6 month :?
Ive just got up the nobivac myxo data sheet - it tells you the established immunity is 6 month - and recommends 6 monthly injections where there is a high risk of infection from myxi
So would i be classed as high risk because im near a field?

Im getting a bit twitchy at the moment! in the last week I've seen several wildies with Myxi :cry: and this morning there was one on the road verge only a couple of hundred meters from where I live :shock: I think even if I lived in a built up area I still would do it every 6 months. It would be awful to have them vaccinated then in the remaining 6months they're not covered they contract it!!!

Ive been told to stick to 6 monthly vacs as there was an outbreak in the area about a year and half ago. I pay £25.00 for VHD & Myxi (2 weeks apart) as a deal and one bout of Myxi for £17.00

It would be awful to have them vaccinated then in the remaining 6months they're not covered they contract it!!!

:shock:
So they're only covered for the first 6 months if they get the vacc annually? My vet only gives it annually too because we live in London. I kind of accepted that, thinking that they were covered for the whole year but maybe to a slightly lesser extent for the last 6 months?

We get ours done every 6 months and most vets now recommend it - but a lot don't realise the vaccine actually covers for 9 months and after that it's more or less useless :?

I would go with how you feel, 6 monthly is the best way and March/April are the best months to get it done.

We've got 3 due this month and the rest due next month :shock:

According to the date sheet and i quote...
"Duration of immunity: The duration of immunity was established as 6 months"
and also
"In the present state of knowledge no firm recommendation for revaccination frequency can be made but it is suggested that animals should be revaccinated annually in May/June just prior to the myxomatosis season as most myxomatosis in Britain occurs in late summer, autumn and early winter months. Where there is high risk of myxomatosis infection revaccination every six months is suggested"

Hmmm

I live in a town centre almost, have never seen a wild rabbit about, and my boy is a house rabbit, but i still get the 6monthly vacs for VHD & Myxi, better safe than sorry!

:shock:
So they're only covered for the first 6 months if they get the vacc annually? My vet only gives it annually too because we live in London. I kind of accepted that, thinking that they were covered for the whole year but maybe to a slightly lesser extent for the last 6 months?

Like Phoebesmummy said the vaccination only covers 6 months. I presume the vets that recommend just one jab would do it early summer to cover the most dangerous period, but the winter months your buns would not be covered, but it is a period of lower risk!

I presume the vets that recommend just one jab would do it early summer to cover the most dangerous period

Hmm, my vet didn't even advise that we had the annual jab in early summer, although that makes complete sense. I've always been happy with him (I think I have a bit of a crush, in fact:oops:) but might go and speak to him about this. My parents live in a huge Myxi area and I'm now worried that I could bring Myxi back to London with me after visiting them. Ho hum, off to phone the vet

Back