• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice needed please...

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
my vet is away and i've asked these questions to the receptionists and no-one knows!

bisc and matt were on a course of xeno 450 for mites and then during that treatment they went on metacam and penicillin injections for snuffles. they had their last treatment of the xeno 450 a week ago but the mites have come back so i need to know if it's ok to use the xeno 450 again so soon after the last lot and with them being on the other medication?

the next thing is they are due their myxi boosters thursday at the local vet and i need to know if they can have it whilst they are on the metacam and penicillin? i asked the receptionist and she said it 'should' be ok, but i need to know it will be ok.

i know sometimes if the buns are ill the booster won't be as effective but bisc and matt are happy in themselves and seem ok so would you still go ahead with the booster? or would you wait? i would be really worried if they weren't up to date with the vaccinations though.

what would everyone else do?

i can't leave them with mites and the vet is away for a couple of weeks.

just answered your pm :wave:

got your reply.

yes, it's difficult. i think i'm going to wait until the vet is back in and ask him. he's in for one day in the next two weeks, next monday, but the receptionist said he will be really busy, but i'll try anyway.

thanks for your help.

They say you should not vaccinate buns unless they are well - so having snuffles and being on medication means that it's best to leave it until they are well again:D That is what I would do anyway :)

I don't use the Xeno but use a drop on form that is in a larger bottle to treat mites - you could also use the Johnstones for mites as this would not be as potent. They will have mites if they are run down with the snuffles or if they are moulting :? You could also get some Assisi lotion which is wonderful stuff and helps with a lot of things - it smells gorgeous as well:D:D

How are they doing with their snuffles now?

I'll second the Assisi Lotion :thumb:
I try to avoid using potent chemicals as Spot-on treatments if at all possible :)

Yep me too Jane - I don't let the buns get any of the mite injections as I don't want too much stuff going into their bodies.

The Assisi is divine - I could use it on myself if I could get away with it :oops::lol: and it gives their coats such a lovely shine :love:

They say you should not vaccinate buns unless they are well - so having snuffles and being on medication means that it's best to leave it until they are well again:D That is what I would do anyway :)

I don't use the Xeno but use a drop on form that is in a larger bottle to treat mites - you could also use the Johnstones for mites as this would not be as potent. They will have mites if they are run down with the snuffles or if they are moulting :? You could also get some Assisi lotion which is wonderful stuff and helps with a lot of things - it smells gorgeous as well:D:D

How are they doing with their snuffles now?

they're doing ok with their snuffles, hardly any sneezing etc, just biscs breathing when he's asleep bothers me still. i mentioned it in another thread. but apart from that they seem happy and doing well etc. thanks for asking. :)

where do i get the assisi lotion from?

I called Genitrix for you. They said there should be no problems using the xeno 450 every 2 weeks and they said the other medications shouldn't be a problem. There were very surprised that you were still seeing mites though. They advised disinfecting hutches, making sure you treat all animals in contact and if still problems check that it is actually mites that are present and not something else. As regards the booster, the vet should be able to make a decision as to whether they are well enough to have it or not :)

I called Genitrix for you. They said there should be no problems using the xeno 450 every 2 weeks and they said the other medications shouldn't be a problem. There were very surprised that you were still seeing mites though. They advised disinfecting hutches, making sure you treat all animals in contact and if still problems check that it is actually mites that are present and not something else. As regards the booster, the vet should be able to make a decision as to whether they are well enough to have it or not :)

thanks for ringing them. i haven't seen any mites, although i didn't last time either. but they were scratching, but not as much last night and today so it might be me over-reacting again. :roll:

i have disinfected everywhere and have ordered some things from gorgeous guineas aswell to keep treating the area.

i think i might try the assisi lotion that everyone has mentioned. i don't really like using chemicals on them and they're on penicillin and metacam anyway so i don't really want them on anything else.

i've cancelled their myxi boosters and i'm going to wait until i've spoken with the 'proper' vet and see what he says.

You can get the Assisi lotion from Bunny Bazzar :D

thanks, i've just ordered some...and a place mat to put the water on...and a new tunnel toy thing...and some free leaflets! i always end up buying them other things! but when you're already paying postage you may aswell...! :)

thanks, i've just ordered some...and a place mat to put the water on...and a new tunnel toy thing...and some free leaflets! i always end up buying them other things! but when you're already paying postage you may aswell...! :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: As if I'd do something like that :oops::oops::oops:

when i gave the buns their penicillin injections earlier i checked them over and bisc had some dandruff on his ears still but it was the last few flakes coming off and i think that's why he was scratching. the mites had made the skin lumpy and flaky but it's gone now...so i don't think they have mites again, i was just being paranoid probably as usual!

matt didn't have many lumps, just one or two so it doesn't look like he's got them either so that's good. :)

i'll keep an eye on them and i might use the assisi lotion once when that arrives just to be sure, but it does look like i was being paranoid again!

i can do the penicillin injections no problem now...just wanted to add that! :)

I agree. Same deal w/ Human. Because vaccination is in fact a small sample of the bacteria, so if the bun is sick, he shouldn't be vaccinate to begin with

the day after i posted this about the mites bisc had no dandruff flakes left and they have been fine since so it was me being paranoid! :oops:

i got the assisi lotion and have used that twice on them and i'm really pleased with it, it's lovely and makes the fur look gorgeous! :)

i used the gorgeous guinea's bugs be gone sprinkle powder on them and might do this every so often to deter flies, mites etc...as it is natural so better for them. i sprinkle this over the megazorb in the trays too to deter flies etc. it says it can be used to help stop flystrike so i'm going to use it around the buns bottom area aswell. it says it's ok to do this. i will of course be doing the regular bottom checks aswell! :D

i got the buzz off aswell from gorgeous guineas but i haven't used it yet. hopefull that will be good too. :)

the vet has said bisc and matt are well enough for their boosters aswell which is great. :)

they are off the metacam now and have penicillin injections for the next two months and then they can stop those aswell. so i'm really pleased as they are so happy and have no sneezing or discharge from the nose anymore, and bisc has no sneezing fits anymore! :D:D:D

i sent vid clips to the vet of bisc's breathing when he's asleep and it's just snoring, not to do with the snuffles so that's great aswell. :D

Back