• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how to convince friend to care for bunny better??

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
hi, i have a bit of a dilemma. a friend, and vet nurse, has a lovely neutered male 4yo dwarf lop called Bo Jangles. I know she really loves him, but he lives in a 4ft x 18" x 18" hutch with no run attached, tho he does have a 3ft x 4ft run on the grass which he occasionally get to use. He spends most of his days bored and lonely in his hutch, with not enough hay, and is overweight so cant quite groom himself properly (and is too large to be able to do this well in his hutch). myself and her housemates (they are also good friends of mine) have tried hinting that he needs more space, exercise, a diet and a friend, but she's not really interested (esp now she has a new OH). She is buying a house soon with said OH and i've hinted that if she gets a new house so should Bo!

How else do i convince her than he needs a better life? esp as she's a nurse and i'm a student so feel she knows more than me and is more experienced. I dont know her all that well, and dont see her that often, so a really frank conversation would be really difficult. i dont think she'd want to give him up or anything as she really does love him (tho if she did i'd have him in a second coz he's really gorgeous and cuddly!). i just feel so sorry for him.

any advice or tips? i'm sure other people have been in the same situation? thanks

Tbh if it was me i would just say something. But as for you starting it, im not sure. Maybe start with how your bunnies are playing with a toy they got or a funny situation they did with a toy. Then ask her whats jo's fav toy he plays with. Then go from there. Hope this helps x

As she is also a vet nurse can you kind of pretend to discuss a patient you have seen, overweight rabbit, not enough room, alone and she what she would recommend? Or say you are studying bunnies and "study" with her?

Do as the others suggest and try and get into the conversation gently. If all else fails, tell her straight that she's being cruel keeping the bun in those conditions. It might sound harsh, but some people are oblivious to certain things and need it told straight down the line.

As a vet nurse she should know better.

If all else fails, show her this thread.

I am affraid I'd just get straight to the point.
Hope she does not give Rabbit advice to clients.............

Back