• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Holes in bottom of hutch!!!!

Chrisy1977

New Kit
Hi again. I just posted the last thread :D
This is something completely different though. I moved Lulu, our pet rabbit, into an outside hutch about 7 months ago. It's a good hutch that has legs so it is lifted of the ground. The problem is she has somehow managed to break holes into the base of the hutch. Her food etc keeps falling through.
It started with one hole and then two, now she has made three holes in it and I'm worried that some day I'm going to go out and she will have fallen through a hole.
Why is she doing this? Is this normal? Should I be worried?
What can I do to prevent this?
I am trying to get a large piece of plywood to cover the base of her hutch, but just wanted to be sure that this wasn't a sign of something else.
Thanks again. :D

Holes in the bottom of hutch!!

It was just bought new about 6-7 months ago. It's quite large and cost £70.
The bottom is a tray that slides out for cleaning etc. Not sure how she is making the holes. If I but a new one she'll just do it again, won't she?

A rabbit shouldn't be able to chew out of the hutch that easily. Definitely repair it for the time being but I do think you will need a new one long term.
If you buy a good quality, large (ideally 6ft) hutch she won't be able to chew out. It is also important that the wood is treated with a animal friendly preservative so it doesn't rot.
These two companies are good, loys of people on here have their hutches :)

http://www.rehutches.com/
http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/

Thanks I'll check them out.
I don't think she's chewing out though, I think she is thumping and has broke the plastic tray that is the base of the hutch.
Can I just say that Poppy is gorgeous!!! :D
I'll look at the hutches you have recommended though. Thanks

Thanks I'll check them out.
I don't think she's chewing out though, I think she is thumping and has broke the plastic tray that is the base of the hutch.
Can I just say that Poppy is gorgeous!!! :D
I'll look at the hutches you have recommended though. Thanks

Ah ok I didn't realise it was plastic, I think a new one is the way to go...I hate to think she could thump and fall through :shock:

Decided I'm going to chop the legs of the hutch. What do you think?

I can't afford a new hutch at the minute and the one I have is fine except for the fact that it is off the ground. My mum suggested cutting the legs off so that it sits at ground level until I can afford a new one.

Thanks for all your help. :D

Decided I'm going to chop the legs of the hutch. What do you think?

I can't afford a new hutch at the minute and the one I have is fine except for the fact that it is off the ground. My mum suggested cutting the legs off so that it sits at ground level until I can afford a new one.

Thanks for all your help. :D

Is the hutch outside? Having a hutch on the floor means that no air can circulate underneath which, in turn, means it will be colder and/or hotter depending on the weather, than a hutch that is raised off the ground. If your rabbit is able to make holes in the hutch, a predator will be able to too :( especially if it's on the floor as it will be easier to get to.

I'm confused now. I bought a brand new rabbit hutch not long ago and now it's full of flipping holes. I understand what you mean about keeping it on the ground, but aren't some hutches designed that way anyway?

The holes are in the plastic tray that serves as the floor to her hutch.
I don't think a predator could make a hold in the wood, I think she is thumping the plastic floor/tray and basically cracking the plastic until it breaks away.

I honestly could not afford a new hutch. My husband is going to see if he can get a large piece of plywood to lay over the plastic tray for a bit of extra support as well as a way to cover the holes.

I'm confused now. I bought a brand new rabbit hutch not long ago and now it's full of flipping holes. I understand what you mean about keeping it on the ground, but aren't some hutches designed that way anyway?

The holes are in the plastic tray that serves as the floor to her hutch.
I don't think a predator could make a hold in the wood, I think she is thumping the plastic floor/tray and basically cracking the plastic until it breaks away.

I honestly could not afford a new hutch. My husband is going to see if he can get a large piece of plywood to lay over the plastic tray for a bit of extra support as well as a way to cover the holes.

What will happen when it rains?
The hutch floor will become sodden and start to rot.

You need a new hutch. If it's so flimsy your bunny can kick holes in the bottom then a fox could break in in seconds! And while there's holes in the bottom she's in danger of breaking a leg.

i may be wrong, but do you mean that there are holes in the plastic base, but not holes in the wood underneath?...

if thats so, you just need a new plastic tray base, but if there are holes in the actual wood, then you need a new hutch..

which one is it? think people may have read that wrong ;)

i may be wrong, but do you mean that there are holes in the plastic base, but not holes in the wood underneath?...

if thats so, you just need a new plastic tray base, but if there are holes in the actual wood, then you need a new hutch..

which one is it? think people may have read that wrong ;)

i waS THINKING the same thing! rtemove the plastic tray line the hutch with a depe layer of sut free hay and a litter tray i nteh corner. and attatch a run to give her more spaceadd a littel ramp if hutch too far off the ground. x

Plastic doesn't rot!!

She's protected from the rain anyway due to the cover on the hutch!! It doesn't get wet inside.

I'm going to have to take a picture.

There is no wood on the bottom of her hutch. It is risen of the ground and has a removable plastic tray as the base.

As I said I'm going to cover the plastic tray (and holes) with plywood so she can't break it anymore.

Back