• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Spay Question

Amber8714

New Kit
Hi Everyone -

I recently got a 1 year old female Mini Rex. Upon having her for 5 days she began humping me and peeing on me. Other than those 2 behaviors she has been the perfect litter trained goofy bunny!

I had her spayed 2 days ago and she came home yesterday with a lot of staples on her tummy. The vet gave me an e-collar but said it wasn't the best choice to use and observation would be best. I tried the collar, but she can't walk, eat, or drink with it on. She is only 3.5 pounds and the collar seems as big as she is! I tried a sock around her middle but it slides down onto her back legs and makes her seem very uncomfortable. Also, the sock doesn't even seem to cover her incision area when it isn't on her legs.

She doesn't appear to be chewing on the staples. I only saw her licking them a lot when she first got home. I figured she was just cleaning the area since they probably used some kind of disinfecting stuff before the incision. Do most rabbits have problems with chewing out staples or is it just the worse cases always get talked about? I would like to leave her in her room when I'm not home without worrying that she can't walk, eat, and drink, but I don't want her to chew out the staples.

My next question is that she appears to be stretching a lot when she moves and also she flicks her legs out when she is walking like she is mad. These all seem like signs of pain. She is also shivering, which from what I read is another sign of pain. She is on pain medication in the mornings. What can I do besides the pain medication to make her feel comfortable?

As for her eating and drinking habits, everything seems normal! She is drinking a lot and eating her hay, pellets, and she is back to her normal picky self when it comes to veggies. Her poops are a bit small, but I've read that that is normal.

Sorry for such a long post. Thanks!!!

-Amber

I'm sorry, I have no experience of staples for rabbit spays. Our vets always use buried stitches that the bun can't get hold of. It's good news that she's eating and pooing anyway but she's bound to be uncomfortable for a few days. What dose of painkiller is she on?

She is on Metacam and takes .3 mL every morning. She took it pretty well this morning. I think she likes the honey taste.

Back