• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RWA Urgent Alert - Pet Rabbits Being Attacked in Worcs.

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Just recieved a first alert from the RWA - text is below.

"This is a copy of an article in the Sunday Mercury. I hate to send
such a horrible story out but please be vigilant and make sure your
rabbits are secure.

Serial pet killer butchered toddler's pet rabbit
Mar 8 2009 by Anuji Varma, Sunday Mercury

Serial pet killer in village

POLICE are hunting a serial killer who brutally butchered a toddler’s
pet rabbit at her Midland home in one of three similar attacks.

Fluffy pet Ace was found dead in its hutch in Moat Way, Pickersleigh,
near Malvern, Worcestershire, on Monday morning. The grey Lion Head
rabbit had been given to Phoenix Mathieson, aged two, in October last
year, after her last pet bunny was stolen.

On the same day that Ace was found dead, a black rabbit, with a white
paw and patch under its chin was taken from nearby Elgar Avenue.

And just two weeks earlier, another pet rabbit was taken from its
owner’s home in the same street.

Last night Phoenix’s mum Rebecca said: “It is so awful and we don’t
know how to tell my daughter. I can’t believe something like this has
happened for a second time.

“I would ask anyone with any information on who is doing this to
please contact police.”

Cops are urging people with pets to secure their back gardens and
homes from the thieves.

Information can be given by calling Pickersleigh Local Policing Team
on 0300 333 3000 or through Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 333
3000."

ive been through this and 4 of my bunnies are still missing:cry::cry::cry::cry:

How awful! I cant believe people would actually steal a bunny! We had a rabbit who had free range of the garden when i was young for about 6 years. He could easily have been stolen as he was never locked away- just never thought about it then! Luckily mine is now a house bunny!

How awful :(

Everyone needs to be thinking about padlocks!
Angle_Type_Brass_Padlock.jpg

How awful!

Unfortunately I dont think a padlock would stop someone who is determind as the wood/wire can just be broken :(

The stories I've heard on this forum are horrific :censored:

I've just had this alert too - it's absolutely shocking. :cry:

When we had outdoor buns, we always used padlocks on their hutch at night. It wouldn't have stopped anyone determined to get to them, but may have deterred an opportunist.

I seem to recall that when the German case was first reported, the thinking on here that the culprit was probably a fox rather than human.

ETA: a number of animals taken from a small area within a couple of weeks. Since most people keep their animals behind their houses, how is a human predator supposed to know where to find them? Google Earth? How then to access a rear garden? Most people have gates or other barriers to prevent access from the street.

Last edited:
what will they do when they catch them though? nowt. Why not send them down to me, anyone want to join me??
The thing that irritates me is its happened once to her why get another and take the chance witha 2nd. No offence but who cares what she has to tell the kid what about the poor bun!

Someone stole a rabbit up this way and it was in papers so people donated the child another rabbit. Holdon you cant replace your bunny and it would be beter to donate security better fencing etc! My rant over.
Thats why mine are house buns I wouldn't trust mine in garden here!

I dont understand the point about google earth though - You can just about see most of my garden on it - but the pictures are only taken every so often - (my dads old car is parked in our drive and the 1 we have is up for renewal shows u how long the pics are done!) so to look at my garden there'd be no sign of rabbits/anything rabbity because i didnt have rabbits back, so surely within a few years space alot of people have prob moved/rehomed/had rabbits die so there must be another way these people are finding out that rabbits are in the garden
I dont think anybody can stop there bunnys being taken, esp from someone whos determined - I think is disgusting that we are coming up to a stage where we cant even leave our blummin rabbits outside without them being taken :roll:

I seem to recall that when the German case was first reported, the thinking on here that the culprit was probably a fox rather than human.

ETA: a number of animals taken from a small area within a couple of weeks. Since most people keep their animals behind their houses, how is a human predator supposed to know where to find them? Google Earth? How then to access a rear garden? Most people have gates or other barriers to prevent access from the street.

I would agree. My first though was foxes too. I have a friend at work who lost two rabbits that he thought had been stolen. He's just lost another but this time he saw the fox :(

what will they do when they catch them though? nowt. Why not send them down to me, anyone want to join me??
The thing that irritates me is its happened once to her why get another and take the chance witha 2nd. No offence but who cares what she has to tell the kid what about the poor bun!

Yep I am with you!!

Why are they so sure someONE took the rabbits? Couldn't it have been a fox? God, it's really worrying. I've got my little monkeys locked in the shed and they have their hutch inside with the run of the shed. Otherwise, they're out in the garden.

Oh my god I can't bear the thought that someone took the rabbits - what the hell is WRONG with people?! Why do they want to hurt animals? It makes me unbelievably sad and upset. I would love to get my hands on these evil people - bet they're chav kids :cry: hate them.

WHY are the foxes getting them???

Because most commercially available hutches are rubbish quality, and don't even have bolts on the doors....and lots of people leave their rabbits free-ranging in the garden all the time because they can't be bothered to put them away for the night :(

Back