• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

concerned

cazh

Warren Scout
Hello,

Just wanted to vent my frustration as i'm having rabbit trouble!!

Firstly little George got an infection. I'd noticed he had been biting under his chin for about a week. I thought it was becasue he was malting but he has biten away all the fur under his chin so there's about a 50p sized bald patch which he keeps licking. It had got quite red so i took him to the vets who said it was infected. He's on baytril twice a day for a week. Vet also looked into his mouth and said he saw some blood on his cheek so they'd have to give him a GA to do a dental and maybe shave down his back teeth...
He's only 9 months old so quite young to have dental problems..

Anyway i said i didn't want him to have GA until he has finished his antibiotics as that had been really irritating him and i wanted to clear that up. But while all of this has been going on he's stopped eating. Not completely as he can still nibble hay but the normal 2 leaves of spring greens and occasional chunk of carrott as well as a full bowl of pellets he has hardly touched. Each evening if I feel him the greens (literally put it right up to his mouth) he will nibble a bit, and he is still passing droppings although they have got smaller and smaller so now they're teeny tiny. I'm not overly concerned as he is eating a bit and passing poos but his food intake is tiny and not his usual amount of poos.

Sooo do you think I should get him an appointment for his dental as soon as? Do you think this sounds a teeth problem or the reason he's not eating is because he's a little off colour with his infection?

To make matters worse, his brother Black Jack is acting really quiet tonight. He was fine this morning but this evening he hasn't touched his food and just wants to lie down and sleep!!!! I had moved their cages next to each other (currently they live in seoarate cages but i want to bond them in the next few weeks so i've been putting their cages next to each other for a few hours a day so they get used to each other's smell). Perhaps Black Jack is just stressed out by the smell of George?????

I'm just sooo worried right now, all i've done all weekend is sit and look after them! :cry: It's just one problem after another :cry:

Sorry, rant over now...

I'd say its essential that George has a Dental ASAP.
I suspect the sore area under his chin is a direct result of excess salivation due to having a sore mouth. The fact that the Vet actually noticed blood on his cheeks means George must be in considerable discomfort :cry:

Black Jack's behaviour sounds like one of a Bunny with tummy ache. Has he poo'd the normal amount today?
Has he had any different foods within the last 48 hours?

Thanks for replying so quickly Jane.

George is booked in at the vets on Tuesday evening. The vet I saw last week wasn't George's usual vet and I wasn't really very happy with him. Hopefully his usual vet can give me a second opinion, but you're right I will definitely get him a dental booked ASAP.

I haven't noticed him dribbling any saliva down his chin. He drinks from a bottle and his chin has felt dry.

Black Jack hasn't used his litter tray today but he hasn't eaten anything yet so I can't tell if his poos are normal size. He hasn't eaten anything that he doesn't usually have.

Black jack really needs to see a rabbit-savvy vet asap. Not eating in a rabbit counts as an emergency. Look at the health section under gut stasis?

Thanks for replying so quickly Jane.

George is booked in at the vets on Tuesday evening. The vet I saw last week wasn't George's usual vet and I wasn't really very happy with him. Hopefully his usual vet can give me a second opinion, but you're right I will definitely get him a dental booked ASAP.

I haven't noticed him dribbling any saliva down his chin. He drinks from a bottle and his chin has felt dry.

Black Jack hasn't used his litter tray today but he hasn't eaten anything yet so I can't tell if his poos are normal size. He hasn't eaten anything that he doesn't usually have.

If Black Jack has not poo'd or eaten today then he needs Veterinary attention tonight. It sounds as though he is in GI stasis and this is life threatening if untreated.
Please contact your Vets out-of-hours service now

Good luck

Sorry all, please ignore my previous post about black-jack. I was all ready to phone the emergency vets when he suddenly out of the blue just perked up and started eating his greens. He's also used his litter tray too. He's starved himself all day and now he's eating like there's no tomorrow. Little menace got me all worried over nothing

Back