• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has Anyone Every Heard of a Local Anaesthetic for a Male Neuter Before?

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Just be told by someone, that their vets does male neuters by giving a local.

To say I am shocked would be an understatement. I have never heard of this and can only imagine the terror that the little boy would be going through.

So am I wrong and is this common practice?

To say I am shocked would be an understatement. I have never heard of this and can only imagine the terror that the little boy would be going through.

Yep, I have heard of it and I think its barbaric :evil:
I have also heard of it being done with just 'trancing'.............:shock:

:censored:

It's done on horses without any ill effects.

I can't comment on whether it's right or wrong medically, but rabbits don't have a sense of 'self' and won't be terrified of you chopping off their tackle as long as they can't feel it and aren't held in a funny position whilst it's being done.

Okay thanks folks - I wouldn't put my bunnies through it that's for sure. But I just wanted to know if it means that this vet would be considered bunny savvy...

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:poor Rabbit:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Oh my god, are you serious?? :shock:

I suppose it takes all kinds but it seems awfully cruel to me - whether the bun can feel it or not.

Yuck.

with humans local is safer than general, would this reduce the risk of death under anaesthetic i am due to get mine done soon.
Diane

It does sound horrific and that was my initial reaction, but then I thought if that had been available for Austin he would be here now and be happily living with other bunnies :(

how would they make them stay still? i cant imagine Alvin would of allowed it without being knocked out :oops:

Back