• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It all went wrong... advice please!!

natandfluffs

Alpha Buck
As I was getting ready to go on holiday last Saturday I let the four outside buns out for a hop around the garden whilst I cleaned them out. I normally do this once of twice a week.

I noticed Pippin had a slightly sore looking eye (a reccurence of a problem a few weeks ago) which was concerning, and Wispa chased her round the garden a little which is normal. I put toys, chews etc in, and a box stuffed with hay and carrot.

Merry- one of the bucks went straight for it, and somehow when I turned around Bubbles (other buck) had stolen his piece of carrot. Anyway a little scuffle ensued (Merry looked mad about the carrot) which broke up with me making a load of noise. Anyway got them all in the shed with the front penned in with a playpen (which they have access to a lot of the time) so I could see them while I ate lunch.

Next thing I know Merry is hopping round Bubbles, then they chase and by the time I have hurtled yelling across the garden they've got hold of each other and theres fur everywhere. Then as I try to break it up Merry gets hold of Bubbles' nose so I got hold of Merry and eventually he let go. So I put Merry in the run and shut the cat flap.

By this point Wispa is chasing Pip again... so Pip went in with Merry as they have a close bond. Now Pip hardly has her eye open and is letting me put drops in no restraint required (turns out she lets you do this if her eye is even slightly sore :))

So I made the decision- not risking stressing Pip anymore, and don't want the boys killing each other while there isn't someone there to pay as much attention as I can... so split them up. My Mum took Pip and Merry so she could give Pip eye drops three times daily (where the angels proceeded to eat as much of her house as possible), and the pet sitter proceeded as normal with the other two.

So my bond is now one week broken. As an emergency measure I have Bubbles and Wispa in the shed with a little area fenced off for Pippin and Merry- who have the catflap and a run plus a hutch outside. They can see each other when they're inside.

I can't believe this all happened within an hour and a half of me leaving :shock: But can't work out what to do now.... they actually seem happier in pairs (maybe thats because I'm getting more attention because they've not got so many of each other!!) ... but if I do attempt rebonding, when is the time to do it?

The frustrating thing is that the boys always had such a close bond, and I was considering making Pip a house bunny with my oldie as she seemed so left out! Really don't know where it all came from!!

Sorry for the long post (rant)... the little treasures always pick their moments to play up!

hi

As I was getting ready to go on holiday last Saturday I let the four outside buns out for a hop around the garden whilst I cleaned them out. I normally do this once of twice a week.

I noticed Pippin had a slightly sore looking eye (a reccurence of a problem a few weeks ago) which was concerning, and Wispa chased her round the garden a little which is normal. I put toys, chews etc in, and a box stuffed with hay and carrot.

Merry- one of the bucks went straight for it, and somehow when I turned around Bubbles (other buck) had stolen his piece of carrot. Anyway a little scuffle ensued (Merry looked mad about the carrot) which broke up with me making a load of noise. Anyway got them all in the shed with the front penned in with a playpen (which they have access to a lot of the time) so I could see them while I ate lunch.

Next thing I know Merry is hopping round Bubbles, then they chase and by the time I have hurtled yelling across the garden they've got hold of each other and theres fur everywhere. Then as I try to break it up Merry gets hold of Bubbles' nose so I got hold of Merry and eventually he let go. So I put Merry in the run and shut the cat flap.

By this point Wispa is chasing Pip again... so Pip went in with Merry as they have a close bond. Now Pip hardly has her eye open and is letting me put drops in no restraint required (turns out she lets you do this if her eye is even slightly sore :))

So I made the decision- not risking stressing Pip anymore, and don't want the boys killing each other while there isn't someone there to pay as much attention as I can... so split them up. My Mum took Pip and Merry so she could give Pip eye drops three times daily (where the angels proceeded to eat as much of her house as possible), and the pet sitter proceeded as normal with the other two.

So my bond is now one week broken. As an emergency measure I have Bubbles and Wispa in the shed with a little area fenced off for Pippin and Merry- who have the catflap and a run plus a hutch outside. They can see each other when they're inside.

I can't believe this all happened within an hour and a half of me leaving :shock: But can't work out what to do now.... they actually seem happier in pairs (maybe thats because I'm getting more attention because they've not got so many of each other!!) ... but if I do attempt rebonding, when is the time to do it?

The frustrating thing is that the boys always had such a close bond, and I was considering making Pip a house bunny with my oldie as she seemed so left out! Really don't know where it all came from!!

Sorry for the long post (rant)... the little treasures always pick their moments to play up!

i think you should put them back together but be near them just in case.If they do what they did put them back into pairs again, then try maybe a week later if it happens again, well leave it for 2 maybe 3 weeks for them to calm down snd try again if it happens again i would separate them for a very long time well 1 month unless you want to try again another time.

i know im only 10 years old but i do know quite a bit about rabbits

i think you should put them back together but be near them just in case.If they do what they did put them back into pairs again, then try maybe a week later if it happens again, well leave it for 2 maybe 3 weeks for them to calm down snd try again if it happens again i would separate them for a very long time well 1 month unless you want to try again another time.
i know im only 10 years old but i do know quite a bit about rabbits and there behaviour

Is it your intention to bond the 4some together? If so you need to chat to the expert bond girls on the forum for advice on how to bond a 4.
I know you should not put 2 pairs together in a large space (like your garden) on a 'now and again' basis, as there will be fights.

I would wait until all injuries are healed before doing anything else.

I tried to bond my 2 pairs as a 4, but the does were not having any of it!
I now have 2 happy pairs who live together quite peacefully as long as they don't catch sight of the other pair!

They were always a four... they haven't really been seperated since they were babies and have been using the garden for the last few months with no probs. Don't think I'll do it again though!! But do wonder if it was the combination of carrot and space that set them off.

I'd like them together again, but won't be throwing them in together anywhere until I know exactly what I'm doing.... just stuck about how to do it. If it fails (or I decide they really are happy in pairs, I'll be after a new playhouse/ hutch.

Miraculousy there was no blood (no idea how as the grip on the nose was good) which I guess is why I'm wondering how soon to try them again- or even whether it was a fully blown fight- I really dodn't want to leave them to keep going.

Is it best to post this in bonding??

Last edited:
I would also think to split them up as boy rabbits are ruff.
they could be fighting over there terotory or something like that.
If i was in that situation i would split them up and each take turns in the garden running around free. :D

Have you had them neutered? Rabbits get quite territorial. Neutering usually helps calm them down.

If they were previously a happy forsome I'd probably try them together again. I don't think it sounds particularly agressive as no blood, more like the two boys had a squabble over the carrot which probably unsettled the other buns aswell. I think you were right to seperate whilst you were away both for your own piece of mind and also because you can't gaurentee the bonding experience of the sitter. But if you have time to supervise I'd try them in a smaller area and see how thing go. Goodluck.

Back