• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

fur falling out

eleanor

New Kit
Please advise! I have 2 bunnies, both kept in same place, fed the same, and have been so for over 2 years. One is fine, but Tuffet is losing her fur round her back legs and tummy. She did look a bit "messy" so I have bathed the offending area (she was very co-operative!). She is feeding and drinking well, grooming herself, and seems bright, but this is very distressing. Her skin looks pink and healthy - but I can see it!
The other bunny is OK.
Do I carry on or take her to the vet immediately?
Eleanor

Could she be suffering from urinary incontinece. Fur loss in the areas you describe often occur in Buns who leak urine.
I would take her for a Vet check early next week as if she is urinary incontinent the cause needs to be identified and appropriate treatment given. It would be particularly important to make sure the exposed skin does not become sore (Urine scald)

Good luck :)

Good point!

You may have a point. I had Buster for some time before getting this rabbit, and prior to this he had tidy habits - if in his indoor winter quarters, he would use the tray provided, and in his outdoor run used the same place always. I had commented to people that since getting Tuffet, all this has gone and they go anywhere, including in their bed! But maybe it's just her?
I shal just have to be more vigilant and see if things improve. It's probably worth waiting a week as you say unless her skin shows signs of soreness.
(I nurse babies would you believe - feel like I'm at work all the time now!!).
Thanks for the advice.
Jan

You may have a point. I had Buster for some time before getting this rabbit, and prior to this he had tidy habits - if in his indoor winter quarters, he would use the tray provided, and in his outdoor run used the same place always. I had commented to people that since getting Tuffet, all this has gone and they go anywhere, including in their bed! But maybe it's just her?
I shal just have to be more vigilant and see if things improve. It's probably worth waiting a week as you say unless her skin shows signs of soreness.
(I nurse babies would you believe - feel like I'm at work all the time now!!).
Thanks for the advice.
Jan

Personally I would not leave it a week. If it is urinary incontinence prompt Veterinary attention is required as even if the skin is not sore the cause of the incontinence needs addressing. Some causes of Urinary Incontinence can be serious and can also have implications for any in-contact Rabbit.

update!

I took her to the vet today as it happens. It's felt she may have a urinary infection which has triggered the problem. Poor bun has to have the rest of the scruffy fur round her rear end trimmed off, then daily bathing! I feel terrible that I didn't realise there was a problem sooner. From now on these will be the best-supervised bunnies around
Jan

Back