• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet Shop Licence

Lspacehopper

Wise Old Thumper
Quick question for you.

A small pet store in the Leics area is selling baby rabbits at approx 4 weeks old. We all know they should be with mum till at least 8 weeks, but can the store be reported for this? Would it be a breach of the licence?

We've had 3 customers in-store asking us for info and advice about rabbits. The last lady to come in has a 7 weeks old bun and has had it for 3 weeks. She is asthmatic and wasn't going to be feeding hay. We had to persuade her to at least take the hay cakes for the bun.

I'm not sure that there's any specific regulations about this but maybe a phone call to the RSPCA to check?
Where abouts is this store? I'm wondering if it's the one that offers lots of hutches at about 2.5-3 feet in length. appalling:censored:

I can think of two that do this:cry:
I thought it was legally 8 weeks minimum although some stores obviously lie about the age..:?

heres section 12 of the petshop licence
12.Sale of livestock
No animal should be sold to any person under the age of 16 years unless the person is accompanied by a parent or legal guardian or appropriate written consent
No mammal shall be sold unweaned or, if weaned, at an age which it should not have been weaned
In the case of non-mammals, they must be capable of feeding themselves
Any dog, which is fitted with a collar with an identifying tag or badge on delivery to the pet shop, must be sold with the collar

I would give your local EH a call as they will have issued the licence and will be the best place for advice on it.

Popped into PAH in Sheffield the other day and was shocked to see 2 gorgeous lionheads in the adoption section it said on their card. "We are 6 weeks old and are looking for a new home as our last owner couldn't manage to look after us any more":censored::censored::censored:

How the hell can they have been any bother and the owner decided they couldn't manage them in the 6 short weeks of their lives:censored:

They were so small and I doubted they were even as old as stated on the card. They were frightened huddled up together right at the back under the shelf with huge eyes looking out at me:cry:

heres section 12 of the petshop licence
12.Sale of livestock
No animal should be sold to any person under the age of 16 years unless the person is accompanied by a parent or legal guardian or appropriate written consent
No mammal shall be sold unweaned or, if weaned, at an age which it should not have been weaned
In the case of non-mammals, they must be capable of feeding themselves
Any dog, which is fitted with a collar with an identifying tag or badge on delivery to the pet shop, must be sold with the collar

That's interesting, thanks !

Quick question for you.

A small pet store in the Leics area is selling baby rabbits at approx 4 weeks old. We all know they should be with mum till at least 8 weeks, but can the store be reported for this? Would it be a breach of the licence?

We've had 3 customers in-store asking us for info and advice about rabbits. The last lady to come in has a 7 weeks old bun and has had it for 3 weeks. She is asthmatic and wasn't going to be feeding hay. We had to persuade her to at least take the hay cakes for the bun.

Have pm'd you

I think the wording on the license say that once animals are weaned that they can be sold. This could lead to a lots of different interpretations.

they should have the licence displayed for public to be able to see as that is a requiment to recieve the licence also. may be print this of and give it to them.

MANAGEMENT & HEALTHCARE
7. Animals must be properly weaned and not be under-age. Hamsters, mice, gerbils and guinea pigs must be at least 5 weeks old. Rabbits must be at least 10 weeks old.

Contact the council in Leics who issued the license. Here is Nottingham City Councils web page about pet shop licenses.

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1196

I have found the council to be more helpful than the RSPCA on matters like this in the past and in one instance they reacted within the hour and got the council licensing dept with a vet onto site. I also contacted the elected councillor for the specific ward with all the details of the license breach.

Contact the council in Leics who issued the license. Here is Nottingham City Councils web page about pet shop licenses.

I have found the council to be more helpful than the RSPCA on matters like this in the past and in one instance they reacted within the hour and got the council licensing dept with a vet onto site. I also contacted the elected councillor for the specific ward with all the details of the license breach.

That's great. Thanks for that!

Brinsley Bunnies...I don't know if you're aware of a pet shop on Clifton estate which displays kittens in the really small size dog crates, and doesn't have any hay for the rabbits?

I've been wondering whether I should report them, but not sure how much good it would do, given that the animals are usually reasonably clean?

Brinsley Bunnies...I don't know if you're aware of a pet shop on Clifton estate which displays kittens in the really small size dog crates, and doesn't have any hay for the rabbits?

I've been wondering whether I should report them, but not sure how much good it would do, given that the animals are usually reasonably clean?

6.1 on that link states "Animals must be supplied with adequate amounts of food and drink, appropriate to their needs, and at suitable intervals.", sounds like they're breaching that with not giving hay :?

6.1 on that link states "Animals must be supplied with adequate amounts of food and drink, appropriate to their needs, and at suitable intervals.", sounds like they're breaching that with not giving hay :?

I'm not sure the council would differentiate between hay and mix though :?

Back