• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessive drinking & urinating.

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Is there anything else other than liver or renal failure that can cause excessive drinking & urination, where no urinary incontinence is involved and weightloss is a concern?

Although kidney disease is the most common cause other possibilities are diabetes melitus and diabetes insipidus (not sure whether rabbits get this). Pain can cause excessive thirst, as can heat. Thyroid problems cause excess thirst in cats and humans but i'm not sure about rabbits. E.c. can damage kidneys and cause pu/pd.

Dental problems can cause excessive drinking and consequent PU.

I have had one Bun with Diabetes Insipidus and he responded well to Desmopressin :)

Can diabetes be checked in the same blood sample as renal function?

AFAIK testing for DM in Rabbits is not as straight forward as in other species (oh what a surprise :rolleyes:) I think several samples are needed at specific times of day.
Hopefully Marie or rodneyvet will see this thread and help us out........again !!

Get your vet to feel the kidney, they can easily determine by touching it whether it's chronic kidney failure or not. Regardless whether it's chronic kidney failure or not, you should still take your bun to his urine spot every 2 hr. Rabbits love to sit at 1 spot and hold their urine until they really need to do their business.

I do this everyday. I take those 2 monkey to their spot just before I go to bed, then I wake up after my 4 hr. REM, I then take them to their spot, then I go back to bed. Then I wake up after the 8th hr., and I do the above again. So at night time, max. duration of my 2 buns holding urine is 4 hr.

During the day, I take all my buns to their urine spots every 2 to 3 hr., whether he needs to or not, as long as he is at that urine spot, his nature would be to do his business, this way, his kidney shouldn't get any worse. Remember, if they pee every 2 hr. or so, it doesn't really matter if both kidneys are fully functional

If it's in fact chronic kidney failure, it's highly possible that only 1 kidney is in chronic failure or partial failure, so to preserve the other good kidney, you have to do the above daily.

1 other thing, if your house has 2 level, make sure there is an urine spot on both levels. To create a new urine spot, all you need is to soak a towel w/ his urine, and put at a spot that you want him to do his business

I'm a bit baffled by your advice Jason, the rabbit in question has absolutely no problem in urinating at all....it's the fact the litter trays (one on each level) are now constantly saturated (and the rabbit then pee's anywhere and everywhere else) and a giant water bottle is lasting just 2 days that is worrying me.

I would suggest you drop a sample of the urine in to your vets so they can runs some tests for glucose and specific gravity amongst over things. A blood test would probably be useful too :)

I'm a bit baffled by your advice Jason, the rabbit in question has absolutely no problem in urinating at all....it's the fact the litter trays (one on each level) are now constantly saturated (and the rabbit then pee's anywhere and everywhere else) and a giant water bottle is lasting just 2 days that is worrying me.

I have a pair of sisters with similar problems, kidney function etc is all fine, we still haven't got to the bottom of it :?

I have a pair of sisters with similar problems, kidney function etc is all fine, we still haven't got to the bottom of it :?

I had an elderly rescue bun who also had symptoms with no obvious cause...all his tests came back clear too.

Thanks for everyones input.

I was given the same advice by the same person when I had a problem with Graham drinking lots. Absolutely terrified me and Grahams cleared up with just some anti-biotics in the end.

I was given the same advice by the same person when I had a problem with Graham drinking lots. Absolutely terrified me and Grahams cleared up with just some anti-biotics in the end.

I don't believe it's a UTI as the rabbit has been on various abx for nearly a year now, and as I said, isn't incontinent. :)

i have been told that rabbit do not get DM, however if it is never tested for 'because' they don't get it, how do they know it is rare?
We wondered if Kizzy might have had it, the problem is you need to run a fuctosamine test, which we did, we got the results back but the labs had no normal valus to compare it with (they didn't tell us that before we sent it off):roll:.
On another thread this came up and Marie said her practice often gets called for normal ranges for a fructosamine test because of this, so she will be able to tell you more.
I'm sure the vets on the forum can advise you better.

Last edited:
i have been told that rabbit do not get DM, however if it is never tested for 'because' they don't get it, how do they know it is rare?
We wondered if it migh

They can get DM but it is rare and less straightforward to diagnose. More than one blood test is required I believe.

They can get DM but it is rare and less straightforward to diagnose. More than one blood test is required I believe.

Sorry my post ended abruptly, Tabatha head submitted it before I was ready:roll:, have editted and finished what I was trying to write.:lol:

Can you explain why? I did wonder but had never heard of these symptoms in relation to antibiotic usage.

I dont know !!
I have read that sometimes a Rabbit who has a chronic bacterial infection will drink more. All tests may give no answers as to why and in the article I read it was suggested that the increased drinking *might* be an instinctive response -like flushing out toxins.
I think the article was by Dana Krempels but I cant for the life of me remember where I found it !!

I dont know !!
I have read that sometimes a Rabbit who has a chronic bacterial infection will drink more. All tests may give no answers as to why and in the article I read it was suggested that the increased drinking *might* be an instinctive response -like flushing out toxins.
I think the article was by Dana Krempels but I cant for the life of me remember where I found it !!

Ok thanks, I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can find it. There are other options we need to rule out too though, so will start with those.

Cheers :)

Back