• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Fits - help please!

:(We have two dwarf rabbits they are approx 4 years old, thats not certain though. They are brothers, Lennon and Ringo. For about 3 months we have been keeping the rabbits indoors in a run because Ringo got a bad bum and my mum became attatched to them and didn't want to keep them outside again in the winter. Ringo is usually the one who is ill, he was very small when we first got him and he has had head tilt and a poorly bottom but recently Lennon has become very ill. He is having ALOT of fits. These are all his symptoms---->
  • Severe head movements from side to side. This then makes him lose balance and he falls onto his side or his back.
  • Struggles to get himself on his feet when he falls down.
  • Doesn't move about much when we have them out. He just shuffles, never moving more than a foot. Unlike his brother who lops about all over the place.
  • The fits have been happening more frequently over the past month. In the past hour this has happened 3 times since we got him out of the run because he was lay on his side.
  • When he fits he jerks about, shaking his whole head and body. The fits last until you pick him up and cuddle him. We are not with him all the time so we have found him lay on his side when we are not there.
  • He is still drinking and eating as far as we know.
  • The fits used to be every few days but are now quite regular.

We also have a cat who has free reighn of the house he somtimes tries to stick his paw through the run's bars. When we let the rabbits out it has to be in one room when we lock the cat out. Is being nervous about the cat making the rabbit fit? We will be taking him to the vet soon but we would like to know if there is anything we can do until then. It is extemely distressing to watch! Please respond if you have any idea of the cause or anything we can do to help him.
Thank you.

I'm so sorry to hear about this but you really need to get to a vet as soon as you can. If these seizures keep happening and increasing then something is very wrong :(

He may have pain somewhere in his spine or head that is making him fit - has he had a fright or a fall where he may have injured himself?

He really does need to see a vet who can assess him, maybe give him x-rays and give the appropriate treatment.

Buns who have seizures can be treated so that is a positive thing :) He may need steroids to help him and to take away any inflammation.

I am sending all the vibes I can to him - please let us know how he gets on.

You really do have to check that he is eating and drinking as well as peeing and pooping so that you can let the vet know.

Thank you so much for the quick reply! We are taking him to the vet monday and we are hoping for the best. If the worst does happen though, the rabbits are extremely affectionate to each other and don't like being apart, if one dies will the other be allright?

Thank you so much for the quick reply! We are taking him to the vet monday and we are hoping for the best. If the worst does happen though, the rabbits are extremely affectionate to each other and don't like being apart, if one dies will the other be allright?

Are you able to get him seen sooner than monday? x

:(We have two dwarf rabbits they are approx 4 years old, thats not certain though. They are brothers, Lennon and Ringo. For about 3 months we have been keeping the rabbits indoors in a run because Ringo got a bad bum and my mum became attatched to them and didn't want to keep them outside again in the winter. Ringo is usually the one who is ill, he was very small when we first got him and he has had head tilt and a poorly bottom but recently Lennon has become very ill. He is having ALOT of fits. These are all his symptoms---->
  • Severe head movements from side to side. This then makes him lose balance and he falls onto his side or his back.
  • Struggles to get himself on his feet when he falls down.
  • Doesn't move about much when we have them out. He just shuffles, never moving more than a foot. Unlike his brother who lops about all over the place.
  • The fits have been happening more frequently over the past month. In the past hour this has happened 3 times since we got him out of the run because he was lay on his side.
  • When he fits he jerks about, shaking his whole head and body. The fits last until you pick him up and cuddle him. We are not with him all the time so we have found him lay on his side when we are not there.
  • He is still drinking and eating as far as we know.
  • The fits used to be every few days but are now quite regular.

We also have a cat who has free reighn of the house he somtimes tries to stick his paw through the run's bars. When we let the rabbits out it has to be in one room when we lock the cat out. Is being nervous about the cat making the rabbit fit? We will be taking him to the vet soon but we would like to know if there is anything we can do until then. It is extemely distressing to watch! Please respond if you have any idea of the cause or anything we can do to help him.
Thank you.

Has your Rabbit been seen by a Vet at all during his illness :?
It sounds as though he may have a problem effecting his central nervous system. The cause could be several things including bacterial middle ear infection or Encephalitozoon Cuniculi. Without prompt Veterinary attention and treatment your poorly Rabbit may get much worse :cry:
It appears this is already happening and if he were mine he would be seeing a Vet today.

I hope your Rabbit can be helped by your Vet.

what treatment etc has your bun already had for this and did the vets tell you anything about what's happening at all?

i personally would not take the risk and leave this until monday...it may be too late and you can't deny him the treatment when he so obviously needs it.

please please please take him to a vet TODAY. imagine how you would feel if anything happened to him and he suddenly wasn't there anymore. not to mention how your other rabbit would feel. :(

as mentioned above, if this can be treated and sorted out then by taking him asap you are giving him the best possible chance.

take him today and i'm sending vibes, i hope he will be ok.

Back