• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 Unnutered Boys...hmmm

Benji&Evie

Warren Scout
Im just wondering if two unnutered boys can live together happily long term.. or at least until they can be neutered?
Ive picked up 2 boys at 6months old and they seem so far to be ok with each other although i have observed the odd humping.

How long have I got untill they have to be neutered or seperated or will they be fine? Ive only ever had a neutered buck and doe together in the past!

I would get them done this week, as soon as you can! They are at extremely high risk of fighting (especially as you have just got them so this will be 'new territory' for them). Fights between unneutered bucks can be particularly serious and can result in extremely painful and serious injuries - they tend to go for each others 'bits'. The chances of reintroducing them successfully after any bad fight even if neutered in the interim, are very slim. I wouldn't risk it and would get them done ASAP.

I have only just had my 2 boys neutered (about 10 days ago) and the have been living very happy together for the past 2 years. They are brothers though and have been together since they were babies. The only reason I had them neutered was because I knew they should be done, not because they were fighting.

They have come in their own hutch so territory 'should' be ok theoretically but i can split them if needed.

They were basically palmed off on me and im not able to neuter them at this point. I will be looking for rescue back up or new homes but obviously i was a bit suprised that they were 2 boys and id rather they were neutered before rehoming.

Well ive had a quick look and im not convinced theyre not both girls?

I will have a better look tomorrow in proper light but i'll be booking them in with the vets for an mot and check over to see if they can confirm which they are for me on monday. :roll:

Oh dear :shock: Were they together at their previous place? I would get them to the vet first thing Monday, get them both neutered, if they are male or female. If you cannot afford to do that you really shouldn't have taken them on, if you are unsure of the sex you don't want to end up with babies and make things worse!!

Have they been vaccinated..

Best thing to do is to get them sexed at the vets and sterilised and then try bonding along with vacciniations and teeth checks.
Hope all goes well
Xx

Oh dear :shock: Were they together at their previous place? I would get them to the vet first thing Monday, get them both neutered, if they are male or female. If you cannot afford to do that you really shouldn't have taken them on, if you are unsure of the sex you don't want to end up with babies and make things worse!!

Have they been vaccinated..

Yes they have been together since birth and lived in 'very' close quarters up until now. We have modified one hutch ontop of another to give these 2 some space as my large hutch is currently in use and managed to scrounge another run today thankfully! (although its not really big enough for them long term.)

A little unfair on the 'if you cannot afford to' line. I know you dont know me but I have worked with rescues for years and am well aware of the implications of taking animals on, their costs and care, and i have never taken an animal on im not prepared to take responsibility for!

They are the same sex this I do know, if mating was even an issue they would have been seperated immediately!
However I have been assured they are boys by the previous owner who was busy bundling them into the back of the new car i just bought off them for rescue runs but I really cant see any boy 'bits' on either which I kind of expected by 6 months?

They are already on a course of panacure and will be in the vets for a full check up, vaccinations and confirmation of sex tomorrow if they can book me in which im sure they will as i am at my vets at least once a week with various rescues and my own.

However being same sex, neutering will have to wait because i have spent all of our savings on a new car to transport dogs, and will be spending a fair bit on vaccinations and food etc for these and the other rabbit I have also taken on (which was planned) the other week.

They WILL be neutered, either by a rescue that are willing to take them on or do them at cost, or once ive managed to feed everyone before myself and save up enough to get them done by my own vet before they are rehomed.

I realise its not an ideal situation and the previous owners were made aware of the hassle it is for someone to just take 'free' rabbits but at the end of the day its 2 less neglected unneutered animals in the wrong hands and if i can help then I will, although I admit I was reluctant to.

i took my 2 to the vets to be sexed nurse said one boy vet confirmed the second was male. At the second set of vacs the vet said 2 girls. :?

do you think that tyhey could both already be neutered males? just a thought.-that would explain why you cant see their bits wouldnt it?

do you think that tyhey could both already be neutered males? just a thought.-that would explain why you cant see their bits wouldnt it?

I wish, but their previous owner had them since they were babies and never neutered them, theyre only 6months old.
They are booked in to see my vet this afternoon :)

Sorry for the late reply.

The bunnies are in very good health and are both girls as id suspected! I thought I was going bonkers looking for erm 'things' that werent there!

These girls have been getting a little stroppy in the evenings when theyre put away. :roll:

I think its just general hormones raging but Im glad to say they are off to be neutered this weekend and hopefully that will sort them out once and for all :thumb:

Back