• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why so many sudden cases of stasis??

Maltilda&twinks

Warren Scout
It seems to me that there has been loads of our bunnies going down with stasis at the moment. All the same symptons sudden stopping of eating and being withdrawn, all pretty much in a same time period - not necessarily caused by teeth or blockages. My Matilda just gave me the shock of my life, and yet today she is her normal self munching away and yet yesterday I thought she was on death's door and had to rush her to emergency vet last night....

It just seems such a coincidence that there are so many cases all at the same time, I am even considering that could it be the greens??? or the kale??? It has not been the best crop and maybe something has changed or a different chemical has been used to preserve them better in this bad weather. Anyway would love to know your thoughts and all you buns who have suffered recently do you feed them greens or kale - where do you buy it from and do you wash them or not?

Anybody got any other ideas - as it just seem so strange to me how many cases of this has happened in the last few days. :shock:

i think it may be a sudden change in temp.. the last time alvin decided to go on hunger strike the house was really really cold when i got up in the morning as id not left the heating on... but i could be wrong :oops:

ive not left it off over night since just incase

eta - my kale and parsley is organic, but even then alvin stops eating before greens are fed so i do think its a stress more than a diet problem with him

Hmmm, could be although mine are outdoor bunnies and the weather has been a lot worse than the last few days and poor Matilda had a very rough night Friday.

Who knows. But I'm still wondering if kale caused Rudy's upset ... his wifebun Tinks has done some funny looking poops to so I am thinking his upset is likely to be food related. It's his third upset in 9 months, so I could do with working out what causes it :? Though I did believe broccoli stump caused the first bout.

Alison and I were talking about this today...maybe buns are starting to moult as the weather gets warmer...or maybe just the change in tempreture upsets them :?

Who knows. But I'm still wondering if kale caused Rudy's upset ... his wifebun Tinks has done some funny looking poops to so I am thinking his upset is likely to be food related. It's his third upset in 9 months, so I could do with working out what causes it :? Though I did believe broccoli stump caused the first bout.

Where did you buy your kale from and did you wash it or like me just give it to the buns? Also why do you think it was brocoli stump as I have given mine brocoli stump now thinking I shouldn't?

Where did you buy your kale from and did you wash it or like me just give it to the buns? Also why do you think it was brocoli stump as I have given mine brocoli stump now thinking I shouldn't?

Tescos. I don't wash it as it says 'washed and ready to cook' on it. I blamed broccoli previously because he was newly bonded and I gave enough for both of them and she didn't eat any and it was all stump and not the floret bit. Basically I had nothing else to blame so thought it must be the broccoli. Other bunnies do okay on it though, I've just never given it since. Artie had stasis 2 weeks ago and he doesn't get kale... I give him spring greens :?

I would go with temperature as well, Oddeye had a bout after he was outside on a cold day and Ziggy had a bout after a cold night, after I'd turned the heating in the kennels off.

Last edited:
i think it may be a sudden change in temp.. the last time alvin decided to go on hunger strike the house was really really cold when i got up in the morning as id not left the heating on... but i could be wrong :oops:

ive not left it off over night since just incase

eta - my kale and parsley is organic, but even then alvin stops eating before greens are fed so i do think its a stress more than a diet problem with him

The change in temp can have an effect on buns with stasis. I'd agree with you on this :)

That's interesting I will definitely look into the temperature thing, as we are due a cold spate again over the next few days.

I've never been able to pinpoint the reasons why my lot start with stasis, seems to be a fairly random thing although I've always believed that stress or change of routine can upset them.

The only one I could pinpoint was when Roger had some fresh corn on the cob - I've never given them that since.

One of my bunnies was hospitalised after eating kale, which I believe caused the bloat. If the veg is in a bag prewashed, it will have been washed with chlorine. I gave him a handful of it. What quantity did you give?

Pretty much the same size a handful. I have noticed recently the quality of greens and kale has not been good, so much so that some of the greens when you open them have brown/grey mouldy patches on them and the kale is brownish.... I have been throwing a lot of it, but still feel it has something to do with Matilda's downturn as she is a rufty tufty rabbit normally and not bothered by the weather.

In a healthy bunny the temperature changes probably shouldn't bother them too much, but my 2 were very vulnerable to stasis and eventually had to be brought inside permanently, as if they were ever out at a cold night after a fairly warm day (ie sunny and warm during the day, then cold at night) one of them would end up with stasis.

I have been up all night with Rodney in stasis :cry:
No idea what caused it
I never feed kale now as several of my Buns have had problems with it.

i just recently tried my buns with curly kale and matt got stasis and bisc tried a bit and had small poops. i won't be trying that again!

I don't feed mine kale. However, I do feed spring greens and I wonder if the lack of quality in the crop this year has contributed to the recent bouts of stasis I've had with my two.

I think weather plays a part too. Smokey is always a bit vulnerable to temperature/weather changes.

i definatly think the sudden temp changes at this time of year can cause probs for bunnies ... there always seems to be a rise in bouts of stasis and sudden bunny deaths at this time of year ..

Back