• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People With House Bunnies.

Isis

Mama Doe
I've just started taking Wispa outside when the weather has been really sunny. And all he does is, sit there not doing anything, unless I'm there with him and he relaxes a bit, he did have a nibble at the grass. This is the second time he's been outside, as I thought it would be to cold to have him outside during the winter.

Do I leave him out there on his own or do I sit with him until he relaxes and knows his surroundings? I would love for him to be outside when it is summer and he can soak up the sun :)

He's on his own, as I'm yet to get him a wife (due to the lack of money) and I'm worried he won't like being out there on his own. With all these strange new noises and smells.

i tried sitting outside... alvin still went inside :roll:

i dont think im even gonna bother the try and force them out this summer 15mins of sulking outside then the rest of the night sulking under the sofa (alvin not me) isnt much fun :(

I gradually increased the area our bun had,so by the time she had the run of the whole garden she was fine, I constanlty have my kitchen door open so she can come and go as she pleases and also the shed door is open so she can go in there.

I would run around the yard and and check for any low areas near the fencing that he could squeeze under. I use to let Julie out and watch her but once, went in to use the bathroom. I went back out and couldn't find her. My hubby came out and said that the neighbor just called and said Julie is on the other side of the fence sitting in the front yard. She was watching her to make sure she didn't run off. When I went out there she scooted back under the fence. She could squeeze under the gate. It did not look like she could so look carefully.:p

I took Tishy and Missy out for their first taste of the outdoors the other day. I was doing some gardening but when my back was turned for a second my neighbours pup was in the garden sniffing round, what a fright I got, they didn't seem too bothered.
Yesterday I had the day off and as it was nice I left the back door open and they were locked in their cage. Next thing I hear thumping and a right commotion from the kitchen. Lo and behold a massive cat had come in and was trying to get into their cage!!!!:shock:
I'm just discovering that there are a lot of pets in the houses round about. The cat freaked them a bit but I managed to vcalm them down.

The other problem I have is my neighbour has lots of cats 3/4 I think and always come into my garden. I would love to let him have the run of the whole garden, but I don't think it would be safe. As also I live in a first floor flat. At the moment he has a small run (my dad made it). Its no bigger then his cage, so not really a "run" :(

Personally I wouldn't leave a bun unattended outside unless they were in a really secure run with a floor and lid that was totally fox/bird/cat/dog etc proof

:wave: I'm sure everything is very new for your bun and he may take a while to get used to the different smells and sounds. You could try putting something that your bun can play with in his run like a bunny tunnel cardboard tube (or even a cardboard box with holes cut in it to run in and out of). When ours are in the run they will amuse themselves no end with these (and climb in and out of empty clay flowerpots). All our four really enjoy us being out in the garden with them (whether they are in the run or running in the garden) and they respond with a series of mad binkies when they are called or can hear you wittering onto them in bunny speak. I think I've developed some really good bonds with my bunnies by spending time with them in the garden. Don' worry that you can't let him loose outside the run yet as it would need to be a safe environment for you to do this - we are lucky and have a fully fenced garden which I regulalrly check for any potential escape routes!! We too have problems with cats so hence I tend to stay out and shoo them away - although out little dwarf has taken to doing this himself recently (and now the cats are reluctant to come in the garden!!) Enjoy gardening with your bun:):wave:

Back