• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can brother and sister rabbits fall in love??

Thanks =D

well i think they will be when i get them, they've lived together all there life so far, my parents boss's daughter is breeding lots,so we arte taking in 2, so if there not spayed al get them, but there brother and sister so why would they breed? x:?

well i think they will be when i get them, they've lived together all there life so far, my parents boss's daughter is breeding lots,so we arte taking in 2, so if there not spayed al get them, but there brother and sister so why would they breed? x:?

because they don't know they are brother and sister. If you breed 2 related rabbits it could be a disaster. Teeth problems, deformities and still-born babies are only a few things that could happen.

Believe me, they will breed, they dont know they are brother and sister, and they can breed from a really young age, please be careful or you will end up with a litter of unwanted rabbits.

What age are they going to be when you get them? Neutering rabbits has many benefits including protecting the doe (female) from cancer.

No it isn't.

A boy can be neutered at 10 weeks if you have a very experienced vet, but girls need to wait quite a bit longer.

Have you or your parents looked into owning rabbits already?

I think you would be best getting lots of information before you bring them home. This is certainly a good place to find out lots of useful things.

Do you and your parents know about vaccinations etc?

We worked out the other day that it costs approximately £1000 a year to own a rabbit if you included accommodation, vets, holiday boarding etc.

Anyway, getting back to the point, I'd speak to your vet about neutering as soon as possible and find out how much experience they have - then if they are good with rabbits, they will guide you.

If you get them at 10 weeks you'll need to put them in separate cages once you do get them, since some rabbits CAN be fertile this early but its really bad if they start having kits that soon. (Its comparable to an 11-year old having a baby)
The male can be neutered as soon as his testicles drop (at around 10-16 weeks) if you use a good vet, but he should be kept separate from the doe for about 3 weeks to recover from the surgery (+an additional 3 weeks because they can stay fertile for 6 weeks after neutering), then the doe can be spayed normally around 6 months.
I'd prefer not to get a small doe and a buck at the same time... it would actually be easier to just get the buck and then get a spayed doe later once he's neutered and ready for a girlfriend, otherwise they'd have to stay separate for about 5 months still. :?

Yep, definitely. Even sons and mothers will breed. You have to separate them when you get them, otherwise, you will definitely have tons of litters.

Okay thanks, sons and mothers?? thats abit rong?:shock::shock:

I got a rabbit from the RSPCA (taken from previous owners cause of neglect). She had lived with her dad and her brother, sister and mother. She had babies ... it could only have been her dad or her brother who got her pregnant :shock: She was only about 12 weeks old, so almost certainly her own father who got her pregnant as her brother probably wasn't mature enough. Rabbits just do what comes naturally, they don't care about being related.

It was a big risk to her health continuing with the pregnancy as she was so young but she was too young to spay, it is a very sad situation for young bunnies. :(

Back