• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two buns in need, don't know what to do!!

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr :censored::censored::censored:

Ok, so since the vet rang me at work yesterday it's got round that I like bunnies. So then someone came upto me and said "I don't suppose you want two more?" Turns out they got two buns for their kids but the kids are showing no interest and the parents are getting sick of cleaning them out :censored:

Apparently they got them as two boys, but then had a surprise litter about 9 months ago, all of which died :cry: so since then the buns have been seperated :( with no plans to spay/neuter. :( He described them as a big grey boy and a small brown girl, both uppy-eared, but no idea on breeds. They've never been vacc'd and as far as I can work out never been to the vet :(

They are both living outside, the girl in a "giant hamster cage" - his words - and the boy in a hutch. So I asked (silly me!) if they would come with their hutch/cage, and the guy said "Oh no, I don't think my wife would want that, she'll want to keep them just in case" :censored: Just in case what, you forget you couldn't be arsed to look after them last time?!? :censored: "...But you can have the rabbits for free". So the cages are worth more to these people than the buns :censored:

So now I don't know what to do. I really can't take on buns full-time at the moment, I'm not allowed in my rental accomadation and I can't afford the upfront costs of vacc'ing, spay/neuter, new cages etc. But I can't bare to think of them staying where they are, unwanted and alone, or worse if their owners put them on freeads or something :cry:

What charming people! I think you can only point them in the direction of any local rescues, or if you suspect they won;t bother then maybe you could take them (with ownership signed over to you) then you pass them to a rescue? I would definitely insist on getting the cages if you do take them on temporarily, just to stop another poor bunny being put in them if they decide they fancy another one!

If they won't let you take them with the cages, I would report them to the RSPCA...if one of them is living outdoors in a 'giant hamster cage' then that is not suitable accommodation. The trouble is, if you or anyone else takes them but leave the cages, they will soon forget how inconvenient it was, and will refill them with more animals to neglect.

Back