• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just found a tag on Thumper

tracy08

Warren Scout
We founn Thumper in the street at the beginning of November. No one has claimed him etc, My mum found him and another rabbit roaming the streets but she couldnt get the other one. Thumper just sat there all dopey and let my mum pick him up.

My problem is we got him neutered yesterday and while checking his stitches today (as advised by the vet) we noticed a ring on one of his feet. I called the vets and asked them if they had done it and they said no. she said maybe its because hes been shaved a bit the we can notice it, tbh i havnt really looked down there for any reason before and playing with bunnies legs isnt a thing i do :lol:
I have a problem now, What do i do? Some one obvs is missing him although no one came forward for him. Wonder if this means hes chipped too. I didnt get attached due to thinking someone would claim him but hes my litle boy now. Does any one have any ideas what to do. I dont want to give him back.

the ring will tell you which breeder he originaly came from ...but he might then have been sold on so it might not actualy tell you who he has most recently belonged to ..

What breed of rabbit is he Show rabbits usually have rings on ive had two with them i got them removed

If someone was that concerened about Thumper they would have rang the vets and rescues to see if he had been handed in.My thoughts are him and his friend were dumped.You have looked after him since November so I wouldnt worry.Get some wire cutters and cut the tag off

If someone was that concerened about Thumper they would have rang the vets and rescues to see if he had been handed in.My thoughts are him and his friend were dumped.You have looked after him since November so I wouldnt worry.Get some wire cutters and cut the tag off

I agree!

What breed of rabbit is he Show rabbits usually have rings on ive had two with them i got them removed

Ive been told hes a mini lop black fox Im going to ahve a look later and see what i can read looks like numbers. Not looked proper im just gutted. I agree if they were bothered they would of looked for him and we did do posters

the ring will tell you which breeder he originaly came from ...but he might then have been sold on so it might not actualy tell you who he has most recently belonged to ..

Hw was in the garden since last year as babies. Mum kept seeing them in and out of her garden. So we figure hes 1 years old. My mum was shocked to see little rabbits roaming around.

Did you not check for a chip when you found him??

In all conscience I think you have to make some effort to find his owner. They may have been looking for him in November but given up by now. If you do find them and they dumped him then they will surely be fine with you keeping him. Or they may have got other rabbits now and struggle to accommodate taking him back so let you keep him. Or you may not be able to find them but at least you'll have tried! If they do want him back then presumably they are loving owners and at least you'll know he's looked after etc. We don't know that the owner didn't ring all vets/rescues etc in November do we?

Did you not check for a chip when you found him??

In all conscience I think you have to make some effort to find his owner. They may have been looking for him in November but given up by now. If you do find them and they dumped him then they will surely be fine with you keeping him. Or they may have got other rabbits now and struggle to accommodate taking him back so let you keep him. Or you may not be able to find them but at least you'll have tried! If they do want him back then presumably they are loving owners and at least you'll know he's looked after etc. We don't know that the owner didn't ring all vets/rescues etc in November do we?

No i didnt check for a chip tbh it was only when i came on this site did i realise you could get a rabbit chipped. Sounds daft i know. I didnt even think about looking for something. Some one obvs loved him enough to get him ringed though. I feel bad, but i dont want ot give him back ive fallen in love with him.:(

Some one obvs loved him enough to get him ringed though.

Not really - they are ringed by a registered breeder as babies, it's not an ownership tag, it's simply a tag confirming that the rabbit is a pedigree bred by a BRC registered breeder. It tells you nothing about who bought the rabbit from the breeder, or what has happened to it since. I would suggest getting a vet to cut it off, don't try and do it yourself as you could very easily end up causing injury.

When you look at the ring, you will see a row of numbers and letters. The first two numbers tell you what year the bunny was born in, then the next letter is the 'ring size', so it tells you what breed the bunny is. Then the remainder is the code for the breeder that bred the rabbit.

I would find out who the breeder is and if they have any records of who they sold it to, if it is the breeders, breeders wouldnt want the bunny back after its been neutured anyway but it may put them at peace of mind that the bunny hasnt become fox food.
Your have on the ring the year of birth, K and then a 5 digit number.
Also it would be interesting to see just how far the bun come from?
P.S its not a chip just a ring, did you get him scanned for a micro-chip as it do micro-chip mine also?

Last edited:
Just to add

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CUT RING OFF YOURSELF

you can easily break the rabbits leg by doing this..or cut the skin
Ask your vet to do it..they will have proper cutters and be able to restrain bun correctly whilst doing it

OMG does that mean i have jsut knackered the chances of a pedigree rabbit to carry on his line. omg i feel so bad, but part of me doesnt. Im :shock: He has produced beautifull babies though.

OMG does that mean i have jsut knackered the chances of a pedigree rabbit to carry on his line. omg i feel so bad, but part of me doesnt. Im :shock: He has produced beautifull babies though.

nope it means you have done the right thing in preventing un neccessary breeding..well done:D

im sure the breeder will have the parents and can alway get another one dont feel bad youve cared for him and nurtured him when he was scared and hungry youve done a good thing.

I wouldn't worry about the life you have given him. I would get the vet to cut off the tag and forget about it.

I would try and the trace the owner of I were you, for the sake of my own conscience, but chances are you'll end up keeping him anyway I would have thought.

your right. I did try everythng to find its owner as i know how my kids would feel if they lost ours now. I hope the other one found its way home as my mum hasnt seen it for a while. Or some one took it in.
Theres no chance of loosing him hes going no where lol

It would be mad to see how far he came from but i have tried.

I would try and the trace the owner of I were you, for the sake of my own conscience, but chances are you'll end up keeping him anyway I would have thought.

i agree with that ive lost the same ferret 3 times first time he run up the road to where a female ferret was i put posters up 2 weeks later someone rang me that he had him im now friend with this person i had him micro-chipped and vet checked, 2nd time he got hit by a car at 3am in the mourning someone knocked round my nieghbours who told them he was mine i rushed him straight to the vets had to leave him ova nite luckly nothing was wrong he was stunned, 3rd time he ran 2 towns away in one nite i put posters with cash reward up again, it took 4 weeks of the lady having him for her to phone me i said that he was chipped but she refused to take him to the vets because he smelled :shock: and didnt want her car to smell when i said i will come over and see if it was him all she could say was how will you be able to tell if hes yours i said id know she eventually let me over to see if it were him i called Tom and out he came i said thats him she said i cant believe you know its your ferret i said i do and it you want i ll show where his chip is (because it had moved and was in the armpit i knew where to look) i showed her she felt and said oh i do feel a little bump, she turned to me and said oh wat a shame i was going to send him to my friend in weybridge to live with her ferret at this point i understood why she didnt want me coming round i handed her £50 and said my good byes and suggested london ferret rescue rehome nueture ferrets at £50.
his hutch has been changed now so there are nomore adventures for this little man he was in a brecon he bit through the wire so i had it rewired then he chewed the door joints apart now he is in a fox proof cage and has regular walks he doesnt escape any more.

Back