• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please

TeddyPatches

Warren Scout
Teddy had a really bad night last night (and so did i!) he has been a bit crazy for a few weeks now just hyperactive really so I put it down to spring fever and him needing his little operation....

Last night he decided to chew everything in sight, he has bitten huge chunks in my walls and skirting boards :'( and he didnt stop all night. I put loads of things in his area for him to chew, old books, willow sticks and cardboard boxes all of which he chewed to bits but also went back to the walls as well.

I sat with him for a long time and he was making any noises of being in pain, lots of grunting though, I fed him some pellets and stocked his hay up to give him something to do, but he only half ate his pellets and I didnt see him touch his hay.

This morning he has finished his breakfast but it took him a while and he's running around as normal if a little crazy! The only problem is that his poos are all very small, like half the size of normal poos. I noticed this last night but he also did big poos so I presumed it was just normal, but this morning they are all small. I have changed his litter tray so that I will be able to see whether they get bigger or not and have given him plenty of water and only hay.

I have brought forward his castration to Monday so i'm hoping that will solve his biting the walls problem but I can't help worrying that there was a reason for him biting the walls. His teeth were checked about a month ago and also back in November/December when I was told that they were very good, should I be taking him to the vet today or should I wait and see if the poos get bigger? Are there any other things I should be looking for?

Thank you

I would check the teeth before the balls removal just to be sure. These behaviour can be due to a hyper rabbit, i.e., a bunny in heat, or it can be the teeth or something else. Make sure your bun's diet is composed of 90% hay, it will grind down his teeth and bring fiber in his sys.

Thank you for the advice Happy Hopping, I took teddy in for his castration today and i'm so relieved to say that everything went well.

The vet looked at his teeth whilst he was under as well and said that they are fine at the moment but have a few minor spurs that may need seeing to in the future so they will need to be monitored.

Teddy is now back at home, eating and pooping well :) He seems to be a bit uncomfortable when trying to lie down but is managing well, he was a bit wary of me when he first came home but I made him a ramp to get up onto the sofa and he joined me and licked me to death so I think i'm forgiven :)

How long does it usually take for the hormones to fade? I've bunnyproofed the walls as best as I can but i'm really hoping that once the op has taken it's full effect he'll stop being so destructive as he's only started doing it in the last week or so!

Wish us luck! :)

Back