• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering questions

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya, I know these questions are probably answered in other places but I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. I took Miss Jingles to be spayed this morning, and it turns out she's a he :oops: so I've read up about spaying but am not sure about neutering.

Do I still confine him to his cage for a week or is he okay to be let out? How soon?

Does he still need just blankets and towels in his cage or can I put the shredded paper back in? How soon?

I've been given liquid painkillers for him for the next 3 days, the vet said to squirt it down his throat, but as he's not my rabbit i've not tried to handle him yet, only had him 4 days. Can I mash it into his food?

HELLO

both my bunnys are males [one of whom we thought was a she and turned out to be a he :oops:] and both have been neutered.

We were told when are two boys were done this is what we had to do [obviously your vet may be different. did they not give you a discharge sheet with after care details?]
1. try and keep him quiet for the first 24hrs try to avoid him jumping about to much. after about 4-5 days he should be taken back to the vet to check the wound. Yoshi and gizmo were aloud out at this point
2. try and keep sawdust away as that can get stuck to the wound. hay straw and paper bedding should be fine.
3. never had to give mine painkillers as they were given a sedative in the vets so they were fine
also try and keep an eye on him to ensure he is not licking the wound to much.

Hope this helps. Good Luck

The nurse came and spoke to me, she told me about his gut stimulant and that he shouldn't need pain relief for the rest of the day. She gave me some painkiller stuff and two syringes and explained how and when to give it. But apart from that no advice, no discharge sheet :?

She says he has eaten and pooped, but obv ill keep an eye out for this myself. He's an indoor bun. So should I keep him in his cage for 24 hours, and then let him out and about? He's not much of a climber anyway - that said, iv not got much he can climb!!

The nurse came and spoke to me, she told me about his gut stimulant and that he shouldn't need pain relief for the rest of the day. She gave me some painkiller stuff and two syringes and explained how and when to give it. But apart from that no advice, no discharge sheet :?

She says he has eaten and pooped, but obv ill keep an eye out for this myself. He's an indoor bun. So should I keep him in his cage for 24 hours, and then let him out and about? He's not much of a climber anyway - that said, iv not got much he can climb!!

Hi...

Well I would still keep him shut in for the rest of the day. and see how he is tomorrow... if he seems ok maybe let him out for a little bit say 15mins just to strech his legs but no more than that for the first few days. It is shocking they didn't give you a discharge notice :roll:
As for the pain killers i can't comment as i said i have had both my male bunnys done and niether of them needed extra pain relief. I was told that if they seemed to be in pain i could take them back in the next day they would give them an extra shot but both were fine.
if he is eatting and pooping that is a good sign and drinking too as they normally stop eatting if they are in pain.

The main thing to remember when you do decide to let him out is when they have their nutty five mins and leap in mid air for no reason... you don't want him doing too much of that... and most importantly no jumping on furniture etc. but if you say he isn't much of a jumper you may be fine. Just remember when he gets let out he may be a bit hypo from being shut in so may be a bit more jumpy than usual. Also remember to try and keep an eye on him over licking the wound etc. And if you can [if you can handle him] check the wound in two days to make sure its not looking swollen or infected. When has he got to go back to the vet??

OH :shock:well that is a bit strange they normally like to check the wound to see how its healing. I would phone them to double check on that. Hope he is doing ok though :?

Well he's Master not Miss Jingles! Have you broken the news to your friend? I must admit when my two does went to be spayed in November I was half expecting a call from the vet to tell me Olive was Oliver as she had started humping Grace a few days beforehand. Although I knew this was perfectly normal behaviour for a doe I was still glad and relieved not to receive that call. She is definitely Olive. Good luck with the boy's recovery. The op. is much simpler than for does so he should be fine, if a little sore.

How is he this morning? Males tend to bounce back faster after neutering because it's a much simpler op. :) Alfie was very frustrated with being confined after his op so I let him have free range the following day, but just made sure he couldnt' jump up on anything.

Shredded paper is fine as bedding straight after the op - don't put any hay down as bedding for the first couple of days as it can irritate the wound.

My vet doesn't do any checks post-neuter but the nurse gives a full explanation of what to look out for and we can ring/take bunny in if we are concerned, so I wouldn't be too alarmed that your vet hasn't asked to see Mr Jingle again. :)

Back