• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lady Lydia Needs Some Vibes Please

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
She has a nasty flare-up of her chronic sore hocks :cry:

001-19.jpg

I am having to keep a dressing on one of them again now. Not had to do that for over 6 months. She is also on pain relief.

004-22-1.jpg

We are going to try these dressings, hopefully they will be delivered tomorrow

http://www.xynergy.co.uk/XynergySite/product/VMAD3.htm

Poor Lyds :cry:

006-19.jpg

Poor Lady Lydia :(

Foot-healing vibes from here for her.

I suspect she thinks that it is most undignified for one of the nobility to be seen wearing such a bandage :lol: maybe that's why Sir Victor keeps trying to pull it off?:roll:

I don't really have much experience with sore hocks...but is there only infection if the skin is broken? or does redness without broken skin mean an infection is present too? I can't really tell from the photo whether Lady L's skin is broken.

Also is there any way to make the fur grow back?

Oh ouchy! I'm sure your management of this will reap rewards! Those pads look very interesting, and I might get some in as an insurance thing. None of mine have sore hocks, but never say never:lol: Lots of soothing vibes for Mrs Posh of Twickers!!( Or thereabouts:))

I don't really have much experience with sore hocks...but is there only infection if the skin is broken? or does redness without broken skin mean an infection is present too? I can't really tell from the photo whether Lady L's skin is broken.

Also is there any way to make the fur grow back?

At the moment there is no infection although the skin is very inflammed. Usually infection sets in if the skin breaks down and that is what I am trying to avoid happening by using the anti-pressure bandages. It has worked well in the past along with Flamazine Cream and Metacam. The fur has grown back but not fully and its always very thin as there are no guard hairs.

My oldest Rex, Miss Bunny Penny, is 8 now. She developed sore hocks at about 1 year of age. If a Rex can get to 12-18 months without a hock problem they are usually OK for life. Miss BP used to require lots of treatment and dressings over the years. But from about the age of 6 although her hocks remained bald the skin stopped being inflammed and she has not needed any treatment at all for almost 2 years.

Its a shame that Rex breeders continue to breed from Buns with no guard hairs on their feet. But as Rexes are bred to show and their show shelf-life is only about 18 months they dont appear to care really. Well, some may but obviously not all of them.
Orange Rexes are often kept in the dark during their show 'career' so as not to fade their coat :cry:

Yowch! I haven't had a bun with sore hocks myself but see why they're called that. Poor girly, hope the new dressing helps!

Vibes for this special lady....hope the hocks get better with help of the expensive honey (i know its soooo dear - i just bought some!!)

Back