• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poorly Matilda U/D message from Matilda!

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
I know some of you have tempted poorly buns with syringed baby food, which ones do you use, flavours, brand etc

Matilda&Twinks's Matilda is not eating or pooing and is at the vets this morning so I'm making an emergency shopping list!

Last edited:
I prefer Science recovery with poorly buns as it has fenugreek in it which is a natural appetite stimulant. If mine aren't eating after an op I tempt them with fresh basil and carrot tops too. If they aren't drinking then I mix the Science Recovery with rehydration fluid too.

I tried baby food before when I was nursing myxi bunnies but wouldn't recommend it really.

Depends on what you mean by 'poorly' - if they have a runny bottom then I don't give them any fresh stuff - just science recovery, hay and rehydration fluid.

Last edited:
If a bunny isn't eating it is best to use a recovery food
however we often find they are more likely to take it if mixed with some nice tasting baby foods

We use Hipp.

Apple & Pear
Apple & Banana
Apple & blueberry
Williams Pears
Carrot and Sweetcorn

or Carrot and potato..remember potato is only safe if cooked and wouldn't recommend lots of it

It syringes easily which helps and sometimes a syringe of baby food followed by one of recovery works
Good luck

i was told by my vet to mix the baby food with the science recovery (and water) - i have used hipp's too and the flavours Apple & Pear,Apple & Banana
Apple & blueberry. it makes quite a gloopy mixture so you would either need a syringe with a big hole or let your bun lap up the mixture.

i was told by my vet to mix the baby food with the science recovery (and water) - i have used hipp's too and the flavours Apple & Pear,Apple & Banana
Apple & blueberry. it makes quite a gloopy mixture so you would either need a syringe with a big hole or let your bun lap up the mixture.

Or you can cut the tip off the syringe to make it easier. :)

I also use the fruit based Hipp foods but I mix them with probiotics & wet pellets to make my own recovery feed.

OK thanks guys Im forwarding the info over to Matildas mummy! Shes just phoned me on way back from the vets. It's not a dental problem the vet thinks her tummy is a bit bloaty. She gave an injection of Metaclopromide but she didnt give a pain killer :?!! Shes also been given some fibreplex and some recovery food to syringe!

Ive sent my friend off to get some Infacol and shes also getting some fresh pineapple for the juice. I've told her to to give warm boiled water and/or peppermint tea! I said if theres no eating or pooing by tomorrow she will need an x-ray or ultrasound to look for a blockage is that right, have I forgotten anything?? Is there anyway of telling bloat from bloat caused by a blockage. I wouldnt want her to be syringed food if its a blockage?! How soon should she pick up if there's no blockage.

I love this little bunny as if she were my own, Im very worried for her :(

Oh gosh :shock:

We knew it was a blockage of some sort from the vet having a feel of Blackies tummy and he felt something out of place! His tummy was gassy and you could hear it. I dont know about just bloat but if there is a blockage then a trip to the vet for an x-ray is deffo the right thing to do. They need to know what the problem is for sure and then they can take action!

If there is a blockage dont force feed it will only build up and do more harm than any good! Lots of water will help and PAIN RELIEF is something they need for sure!

I do hope the poor bunny gets better soon :wave:xxx

Thanks Fudgemallow all the info I have has been mainly taken from your story about poor Blackie :( I will defo press home the need to discover any blockage is vital if things dont improve! Apparently the vet couldnt feel a blockage just that her tummy was bit gassy. The vet said my friend had picked up on the problem very quickly so Im hoping Matilda will be OK.

I agree Jane she should have had painkiller, Im not impressed at that! Fortunately, we know someone we can get a dose of Metacam from. I'll phone my friend now and see if she can pick some up!

Thanks guys!

Is her vet Rabbit savvy?

My usual vet (not anymore) wasnt and he didnt feel a blockage and didnt offer an x-ray or give pain relief but the rabbit savvy vet felt the blockage with no problems and he was given an x-ray before his op and was given strong pain killers!

My first vet also said he felt a bit gassy but didnt do anything about it :?
I now feel a rabbit savvy vet is the most important thing and some pain relief!

I do hope the bunny will be ok :D
Sending vibes xxx

I guess its hard to know how clued up a vet is with rabbits until you're in a situation like this! If there is no improvement by tomorrow she wont delay in demanding action especially after Blackie's story! If they dont do anything I know she'll go elsewhere.

I was speaking to her a little while ago apparently it wasnt metaclopromide they gave but Maxolon or something like that, I havent heard that one mentioned on here is it another name for metaclop?

Think I'll pm Santa or SarahP and see who they would recommend as theyre not far away from us!

Oh pants while searching other threads for bloat and stasis I read one of Janes comments saying "You need to be sure that the problem is gas within the intestines and not bloat" :shock: I told Matildas mum to use infacol as the stomach was a bit bloaty, have I done a worong thing, shall I tell her to stop asap???

Oh pants while searching other threads for bloat and stasis I read one of Janes comments saying "You need to be sure that the problem is gas within the intestines and not bloat" :shock: I told Matildas mum to use infacol as the stomach was a bit bloaty, have I done a worong thing, shall I tell her to stop asap???

It wont cause any harm, I gave it to Blackie and it seemed to help a little. Because you dont know what the problem is its hard to say weither or not to use it! But i used it and he seemed to settle a little!

The vet saying bloaty could mean gas or the vet saying gassy could mean bloat so an x-ray is the best way to tell what the problem is and dont let the vet give her liquid paraffin! I think thats what stopped Blackie getting better :? and i will never use it for my buns again!

If the bunny hasnt improved by the morning i would say get to vet asap and ask for an x-ray to be taken so the vet knows how to treat the bun in the appropriate way :D

It wont cause any harm, I gave it to Blackie and it seemed to help a little. Because you dont know what the problem is its hard to say weither or not to use it! But i used it and he seemed to settle a little!

The vet saying bloaty could mean gas or the vet saying gassy could mean bloat so an x-ray is the best way to tell what the problem is and dont let the vet give her liquid paraffin! I think thats what stopped Blackie getting better :? and i will never use it for my buns again!

If the bunny hasnt improved by the morning i would say get to vet asap and ask for an x-ray to be taken so the vet knows how to treat the bun in the appropriate way :D

Thanks for that, phew I was a bit worried there! I gave strict instructions that no liquid parafin should be used, I copied over Santas comments on that one! I've just had an update and she is still refusing to eat she's had some syringed food but she keeps spitting it out :( Im about to leave work and pick up some of the baby food to try and mix in with it, fingers crossed!

If there is no improvement Matilda is going back to the vets first thing tomorrow for painkiller and an xray, if they wont do it we will go elsewhere! She's been brought inside and is apparently laying on the sofa having tummy rubs!

I'm visiting Matilda typing this on my phone! I've never seen a sick bunny before it's such a shock to see her like this she's normally so feisty :( Im really worried now! Her mummy has been with her all day trying desperately to get recovery, fiberplex and fluids into her I just watched her try to syringe some food and Matilda did nothing it just dribbled out again :(

I'm visiting Matilda typing this on my phone! I've never seen a sick bunny before it's such a shock to see her like this she's normally so feisty :( Im really worried now! Her mummy has been with her all day trying desperately to get recovery, fiberplex and fluids into her I just watched her try to syringe some food and Matilda did nothing it just dribbled out again :(

I think she needs to be seen by a Vet again. Especially if she has had no pain relief.
At this stage she proabaly needs IV fluids/meds anyway as I doubt oral meds will be of any use.
My advice would be to get her back to a Vet tonight.
Poor Matilda :cry:

Please please get her to a vet. Piper started doing this just before she died :(

She needs to see a vet thats what happened to Blackie (stopped eating and pooping first although he was still lively) She is obviously in pain as a bunny in pain wont eat :(
Just syringe lots of water if you cant get to vet tonight (unless she is drinking by herself)
Im sening mega vibes for the girly :(

Alvin needed to be admitted when he got stasis hun, best place for em is the vets they can get much more fluids in than us...

sending her loads of vibes xxxxxxxxxxx

Back