• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ahhh! Buns booked in for Spay...Nerves have started

Michelle666

Mama Doe
Ok my two girls are booked in for spaying on Thursday 19th March :( and now im nervous and dont know what to do.

Ive decided they are going to spend the weekend in doors in a large pen. Ive bought a huge vet bed for them to lay on instead of hay. What else do i need to prepare for?

I just hope everything is going to be ok...ive never done this before! :(

I'm sure everything will be fine.Just keep an eye on the wounds for signs of infection and watch that they dont get overinterested in their wounds,licking them overenthusiastically or pulling at any stitches.They may not have any external stitches,just underskin ones then glued.Does may take some time to start eating.Ensure adequate pain relief has been given post op [and some for when you are home]Best wishes:)

I am with you! My Poppy is booked in for next Thurs, I had my other two girls done last year..but at a diff vets and also they went together in the same carrier and poor Poppy will be all by herself, i have the same ready, a dog crate with vet bed..
Just trying not to think about it too much!:(

Its awful...i keep shaking when i think about it. I just hope they will be ok. Ive had so much bad luck recently in all areas of my life, i just pray that this wont end up being one them bad moments. Im going to make sure im stocked up on parsley, corriander, dandelion leaves, and perhaps a few real fruit crunchey treats - they love all them! Hopefully that will intyce them to eat.

Would it be best to get a bowl for water? they currently use bottles. They are Conti Giants aswell!

awww i know what you mean i put Thumper in today to be neutered and i was shaking filling out the forms, Im so nervous, im bringing him tonight for a couple of days, poor mites They dont have a clue yet so trusting xxx

I would offer them a bowl of water too - they may not be up to moving much the first night and it's much easier for them to drink from a bowl. If you wet the herbs, veg, dandelion leaves before offering them, then they will get some moisture from those too. ;)

I am with you! My Poppy is booked in for next Thurs, I had my other two girls done last year..but at a diff vets and also they went together in the same carrier and poor Poppy will be all by herself, i have the same ready, a dog crate with vet bed..
Just trying not to think about it too much!:(

Ooh my little Daisy is booked in for next Thursday as well Im dreading it I guess I'll meet you back on here next Thursday and we can bite nails together!!

Michelle666 vet bet is fine to use, it will keep them warmer and if they wee it takes it away from their skin. Im going to put Daisy on some vet bed and hay in a bowl beside her! My friends bunnys didnt want their usual food, but they were tempted with a fresh bunch of basil and parsley so I'll be stocking up on that!

I knoe exactly how you feel...I finally got Marmite neutered on monday and I felt awful leading up to it and while he was away at the vets :( But...he was great :D I went to collect him about 4.30pm and he was snuggled in the crate chomping on a carrot. I was sooooooo delighted :)

I brought him home and put him in a large indoor hutch for the night. He had a soft fleece blanket, with a litter tray with shredded paper in rather than hay. He had his pellets in a bowl and his water to make things comfortable for him :) I also put his hay in a contianer in the hutch, so he had plenty to nibble on. He was suprisingly quite sprightly. He went back out to his hutch the following afternoon with LOTS of shredded paper to keep him snug and comfortable. I shut off his run, as the vet said to keep him off grass or cold/hard surfaces for a week. So, I've been bringing in his pen into the conservatory for him to run about in :D

If you have any questions...don't hesitate to ask the vet or nurses. I rang them a few times after he came back for advice.

Good luck with your buns :wave:

Back