• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is my 6 year old rabbit elderly?

smallbrownfrog

Warren Scout
I have a 6 and a half year old Netherland dwarf. I just read a thread which confused me. I previously considered 6 a grand old age for the little breeds. I have previously had an 8 year old dutch whom everyone considered very old, but someone has just suggested that rabbits regularly reach the ripe old age of 14! So is little Al supposed to actually still be in his prime?

Thanks Jack'sJane. I just did some searching around the internet, and the general consensus seams to be that they have an average life expectancy of 7-10 years. i aks because Al is looking quite doddery and frail, he's gone grey in places, and is a little less full of beans these days than he used to be. and likes more attention from me than he used to as well. He's still eating/pooing/being inquisitive. He looks like a little old man.

we have 2 to 3 threads on this. Do a search on it. The a no. of members have their bun at the age of 16 to 18.

IF you gives your bun, say he's a 2 KG bun, 3 oz. to 6 oz. of blackberry daily, he should live a longer life. Read the book "The Doctors guide on food remedies", as they put a lot of effort on anti-toxic.

A friend of mine told me her husband is 47, but he looks like 34, all because he eats a lot of blackberry, blueberry etc., the whole 9 yd. of those anti-toxic fruits

:D Thanks Wilbur :D

If someone could post a link to the afore mentioned threads that would be great coz I'm being a bit retarded and can't find anything. I have searched "elderly" and "age". Maybe i'm doing it wrong...

Back