• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why does she always run away

Just wondered why our little baby truffle always runs away from us. She will be stroked but only when you catch her unawares and don't want to frighten her. She will also be stroked when she has a nice little bit of carrot. However, when ever anyone moves around the house and she is out she freaks and runs back into her cage. Bean just goes :shock: and then runs up to cage and stamps his foot at her. For example, she has literally this minute jumped up on the sofa with me and I went ro stroke her and she bolted! hmmmmmm:(

all i can say is that once she gets to know you she will befine. I have this with mine. Molly still is a little unsure but once they realise you wont hurt themthey will be ok and actually love it when you cuddle and stroke them. Give it time is all i can say. Maybe some one with more experience can advise more, xxx

Hey James, Nick.

With Truffle, the start she had in life will have something to do with why she is like this.

She lived with 11 others in a large open area in the garden where the colony of buns had dug a massive network of warrens under the grass. The owner had never handled them at all; the first human contact was when I was on my hands and knees trying to collect the whole lot up.

So, they haven't been handled as much as most babies would have been by her age. She really is more like her 'wild' counterparts than most. That said, the rest of the bunch have got much better just be taking time allowing them to come to you. Her twin lives with a little silver fox coloured dwarf lop and is much in love. I have just bonded one of the white sisters with one of my boys today and already I have seen a change in her behavior. Not running away - she is learning from him already.

I'd say don't worry, just take is slow and gentle and allow her to climb over you. A good way to encourage contact is to feed her from your mouth - pellets, carrot etc. Let her take it from your lips and she'll get used to being close to your face without your hands near her. Works for us all the time.

She'll be fine I am sure!

Helen:D

its taken Alvin over a year to accept fuss from me... i think these precious little angels dont trust easy :shock:

Altho Alvin is the exception to all the rules, hopefully your little girl will come round sooner :love::love:

I had a similar problem with my bunny when I first brought him hime 4 years ago...now he's the cuddliest bun ever :) I used to wear an old jumper to put my scent on it and then put it in his hutch/run, so he could get used to my smell. He related it to home and comfort, so when I would put my hand out towards him he would have a sniff and then surrender for cuddles. So it's worth a try with your little one.

Another thing to try...is sit down on the floor with some treats right by you...it encourages them to approach you :)

Hope this helps.

Princess xx

Hey James, Nick.

With Truffle, the start she had in life will have something to do with why she is like this.

She lived with 11 others in a large open area in the garden where the colony of buns had dug a massive network of warrens under the grass. The owner had never handled them at all; the first human contact was when I was on my hands and knees trying to collect the whole lot up.

So, they haven't been handled as much as most babies would have been by her age. She really is more like her 'wild' counterparts than most. That said, the rest of the bunch have got much better just be taking time allowing them to come to you. Her twin lives with a little silver fox coloured dwarf lop and is much in love. I have just bonded one of the white sisters with one of my boys today and already I have seen a change in her behavior. Not running away - she is learning from him already.

I'd say don't worry, just take is slow and gentle and allow her to climb over you. A good way to encourage contact is to feed her from your mouth - pellets, carrot etc. Let her take it from your lips and she'll get used to being close to your face without your hands near her. Works for us all the time.

She'll be fine I am sure!

Helen:D

We just adore her and she is getting much better day by day! She will come out now and I am sure she is learning a lot from Bean who is quite a character! She will eat food out of my hand and she comes and sniffs my hand and she will enjoy a noise rub for about 30 secs but then she does 'arrrgghhh I am a scared bunny and force myself onto the ground'' trick!

However, her and Bean still seem very much in love despite a little chase today! Don't know where that came from! :? Lasted about 30 seconds and Truff got a bit freaked out and then it all settled and Bean was backing to licking her ears!

Back