• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should I be worried?

Saz

New Kit
Roger can't seem to settle. He keeps laying down, moving a bit then hopping out of his crate and laying down again. He is pooing but not touched his nuggets. His ears were cold but are a bit warmer now, he just seems really lathargic and not himself.

Is he just tired or should I be concerned?

It sounds as though he has some tummy pain.
Are his poos normal in size ? How recent are they ?
Has he wee'd ?
When did he last eat ?

He had quite a bit of hay this afternoon and he has been weeing.
He had a bit of cabbage at lunchtime which he's had before.
Most of his poos are normal, there were a few that were smaller.

If I go up to him he seems to ignore me and he doesn't seem to want to be stroked.

No, but I can get some.

Sorry for asking a silly question but what do you do with it? I've only ever given it to the children!

It can help break up the gas in the intestines. You can give 2ml first off then 1ml every 1-2 hours. I dont know if that is the problem but as I have said cabbage can cause gassy tums and the behaviour you describe fits with a Bun with tummy pain.
Gentle abdominal massage can help if it is a gas problem but if he remains the same over the next couple of hours you need to contact your Vet for advice.

Thank you for your help.
How much infalcol should I give and is there a particular way to massage buns tums?
I'm going away tomorrow and leaving him with a friend who's not had a bunny, I'm really worried now.

Thanks again

Sarah x

Thank you for your help.
How much infalcol should I give and is there a particular way to massage buns tums?
I'm going away tomorrow and leaving him with a friend who's not had a bunny, I'm really worried now.

Thanks again

Sarah x

If you are going away tomorrow I would strongly advise you to get Roger checked over by a Vet.
If he is refusing food and acting abnormally there is clearly a problem and I cant tell you for certain what is wrong. I can only guess going on what you have posted here.

Try to encourage him to hop about as that can help disperse gas (if that is what it is)

Minutes after I spoke to the vet Roger sat up, had a clean, ate a nugget and hopped off!

He's playing with his ball at the moment so I'm hoping he's over whatever it was.

Thanks again for your help

Sarah
x

Back