• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What age can they be neutered

tracy08

Warren Scout
Im worried about them breedding before i can re-home them as i have heard that rabits can start as little as three months old, I was thinking of getting maes done first if i keep any. Then looking into getting the females done. What you think. What age can i get them done at?

You need to seperate the boys from the girls at 10-12 weeks

The boys can be neutered as soon as their 'bits' have dropped, usually around 14-16 weeks.

The girls can be spayed at 5-6 months.

i'd ask your vets as my vets wont neuter boys until they are 5 months old and wont neuter females until they are 6 months old.

Right so i suppose it depends on the vet then, but at least i know now that i need to seperate them between 10-12 weeks old,Im hopeing the vet can tell me what they are lol at the moment they look the same to me,

Really depends on your vet and the size of th buns I think. I had a group of 5 boys from the same litter all neutered at about 13 weeks! My vet has speyed a girl for me from 4 months old but they do all vary.
As Jane says just make sure boys are separated from girls at 10-12 weeks. (i'd go with 10 to be sure!) x

Really depends on your vet and the size of th buns I think. I had a group of 5 boys from the same litter all neutered at about 13 weeks! My vet has speyed a girl for me from 4 months old but they do all vary.
As Jane says just make sure boys are separated from girls at 10-12 weeks. (i'd go with 10 to be sure!) x

wish my vet did do it at 13 weeks, i got baby boys and have had to take one out because he was starting fights :roll:

Right so i suppose it depends on the vet then, but at least i know now that i need to seperate them between 10-12 weeks old,Im hopeing the vet can tell me what they are lol at the moment they look the same to me,

Hopefully a rabbit savvy vet will sex them for you, but mistakes have been made!!!
Whereabouts in the country are you, as some RU members are good at sexing buns if you live near one....

i see. biscandmatt1 suggested a vet to me, hes seeing Thumper tomorrow to be neutered. They did say to leave taking 'mum' and babies for a while hopefully not too long from the sounds of it though lol

wow

Im in manchester. Dont want to sound thick but whats a rabbit savvy? Do you mean a santuary place?

Many vets don't know much about rabbits, and the RU folk on here always advise bunny owners to try to find their best 'rabbit savvy' vet - one who knows what they are doing.
Ask your local practise for their best rabbit vet!

you can phone the rabbit welfare fund and they will tell you of your local rabbit savvy vet, mine is over an hour away but well worth it as my vet didnt seem to have a clue. Most of the time, people on here know more than the non rabbit vets do!!

Back