• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lice or fleas

charlie82

Mama Doe
I've picked up two baby rabbits today, and I noticed they are itching quite a bit. Just had a look and I can't see any fleas but I can see some tiny egg type things stuck to their fur. What would it be..lice or fleas....:?

Fleas and lice both lay eggs, but flea eggs aren't sticky so would fall off the rabbit onto the floor.

It's not always easy to spot a flea, but there should be evidence of flea dirt. Get a damp piece of paper and drop any dirt onto it...if it disolves into a red colour, it's flea dirt (dried blood)

IME lice don't cause itching, but I guess it's possible if the particular rabbit is very sensitive or there is a heavy infestation. Lice are just about visible to the naked eye, and look like moving specks of dirt...they appear white on a dark coloured rabbit and brown on a light coloured rabbit.

If there is any dandruff, then I'd say it's probably mites instead

thanks!

there are definitely eggs, but they are stuck to strands of fur....almost like how human head lice lay their eggs.. I can see loads of them in patches on the white bunny (they are pale brown) and loads on the white patches of the other bunny. hmmm......

Just read that lice lay eggs that are similar to nits so I'm pretty sure it's lice they have got :(

You should be able to see the lice themselves too. They're usually around the back and bottom area...basically anywhere the bun can't groom very easily.

Best treatment for lice is spot-on ivermectin. Don't bother with the injectable ivermectin because it doesn't seem to work properly on lice, and they will come back after the course of injections stops.

Make sure they are not fly eggs, or you may be due for fly strike.
These usually brush out of the fur quite easily, and are usually creamy white colour.
You might have noticed if there were any flies about (not many about this time of year, but there are a few) and they usually only lay on a rabbit that is dirty, has poo or wee stuck on fur, or is sick.

Sorry to be dramatic, but this would be serious if they are.

Make sure they are not fly eggs, or you may be due for fly strike.
These usually brush out of the fur quite easily, and are usually creamy white colour.
You might have noticed if there were any flies about (not many about this time of year, but there are a few) and they usually only lay on a rabbit that is dirty, has poo or wee stuck on fur, or is sick.

Sorry to be dramatic, but this would be serious if they are.

Nope they aren't fly eggs :)

They have now been treated for lice, so hopefully should be clear soon!

Back