• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can i let mum out

tracy08

Warren Scout
As i wanred so many questions. At present i am trying to sort out my rabbits run (i got them in nov) Now Perdy has 2 weeks old babies but she hasnt been out of her hutch for three weeks and i feel so bad, so many people tellig me i shouldnt let her out blah blah, I normally bring them in thehouse but cani bring her in for a run away from her babies, I have taken her sister out and she is in her own hutch as i think shes due babies today or tomorrow i though it was next week but i got my dates wrong

Any way will this be ok to bring her in for a run around till i sort out the run

In the wild mums don't stay with the babies for much of the day. She's probably desperate to get away for a bit so it should be fine.

thanks. im going to try to bring her in soon, when thumper has had his run around hes grumpy with me today for some reason :(

You sound like you are expecting rather a lot of baby rabbits to look after.
Do you need any advice on neutering?

Tell me about it lol. I have Thumper booked in tomorrow to be neutered. Thats one down at least. So far we have three babies, that are so fat i dont think they can get up even if they wanted too they are two weeks old, and god knows how many soon. Im worried about them breedding before ican re-home them as i have heard that rabits can start as little as three months old, I was thinking of getting makes done first if i keep any. Then loking into getting the females done. What you think. What age can i get them done at?

At least get your buns sexed and seperated. I see you have started another thread about that.
Boys first, when their bits arrive, and the girls later when vet agrees and when funds allow (It costs about £60ish each.)
At least with your boys done, you won't have to worry about more babies, and any you decide not to keep will be easier to rehome.
Neutering female bunnies prevents them developing uterine cancer, besides unwanted pregnancy, which can only be a good thing.

so true, wish i had done this before. but its a long story. I beleive girls are more expensive, Thumper is costing me £41 tomorrow but worth it. Bless him x

As i wanred so many questions. At present i am trying to sort out my rabbits run (i got them in nov) Now Perdy has 2 weeks old babies but she hasnt been out of her hutch for three weeks and i feel so bad, so many people tellig me i shouldnt let her out blah blah, I normally bring them in thehouse but cani bring her in for a run away from her babies, I have taken her sister out and she is in her own hutch as i think shes due babies today or tomorrow i though it was next week but i got my dates wrong

Any way will this be ok to bring her in for a run around till i sort out the run

Hi, My mum rabbit didn't stay with the babies during the day at all. The dad was in a seperate hutch and run so mum had the hutch open and free run of the garden all day. Like the say, the mum was always in the garden from day one of the babies being born and rarely returned to the hutch to check them.
I hope that helps a little x x

cheers wish i had asked this earlier. but as i was tld 'not to touch' do not disturb her' no not let her out or she will kill the babies God you should of seen her slobbing on the sofa today when i let her in, in fact im going to put pics up and show you she really loved it, so now i know i can let her out for a run thanks guys

Get the babies sexed as many times as you can. Mistakes are very costly. Start your planning now, you can build hutches quite cheaply and only needs a little woodworking skill. Don't wait for the boys bits to drop to seperate them. Seperate the boys and girls before that happens. In the short term you can keep the boys together and the girls together (with the mum aswell unless she gives birth again) but they will fight eventually.

thanks , yeah i heard that brothers tend to fight more or is it just boys anyway. not sure. I want to be prepared, more so than i was this time :roll: So thanks x

Yes the boys would probably start to fight first. The girls would fight eventually too unless they are neutered. Probably around 6-10months old the girls would start getting very hormonal and fight lots

Back