• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

question about rabbit runs?

tracy08

Warren Scout
I have had my bunnies since November and so far to let them run around i have brought them into the house, but now i want to sort out a run for them.

What would you suggest to put at the edge of the run to stop them trying to dig through as i know rabbits are great diggers. I was thinking of putting paving slabs around the edge of the run, inside,
1) so they have hard surface for nails
2) To stop them digging.
Any other suggestions,. the run is going to be big, so they will have plenty of room im just concerend about them getting away x
Cant you tell im new lol

I have had my bunnies since November and so far to let them run around i have brought them into the house, but now i want to sort out a run for them.

What would you suggest to put at the edge of the run to stop them trying to dig through as i know rabbits are great diggers. I was thinking of putting paving slabs around the edge of the run, inside,
1) so they have hard surface for nails
2) To stop them digging.
Any other suggestions,. the run is going to be big, so they will have plenty of room im just concerend about them getting away x
Cant you tell im new lol

underneath the entire run lay paving slabs or wiree weld mesh then turf over this that way if they try to dig out and if predator trys to dig in everybun is safe.
to give them a hard area you could leave a small area of slabs unturfed and this would allow them an area to grind claws doen on. you could jsut regularly clip them too...naturally digging and scratting at teh earth allows the claws to wear down to and if you have rex or giant rabbits paving slabs alone can run the risk of hock problems(as i dont know your buns its hard to advise there) when you say it will be large what sortv size were you thinking? will it be attatched to a hutch? if not then a hideyhole box and some toys should be put inside it so they have shelter from anythign scary such as a cat walking by and also form the elements rain wind etc. tunnels are fun and so are food orientated type toys too x

aww thanks hun. My rabbits are 2 dwarf lops and 1 mini lop at present with 3 babies and more on the way arrgghh.

Any way fab idea about the mesh underneath, never thought of that. I was going to put the hucthes in with the run so they can go in and out but at night i can put them to bed. Too scared to leave them to run around all night. I was thinking of a run about 8ft by 3ft would this be big enough or should i do it bigger, Im looking at my garden at the mo, and the place i was going to put them seems a little too wet, Also the leaves from the treein my neighbours garden fall in to that spot so thats not a good idea.

I need to measure i suppose and figure it out, i want to do it asap, i dont have a big garden but i dont care if the rabbits take it up xxx

aww thanks hun. My rabbits are 2 dwarf lops and 1 mini lop at present with 3 babies and more on the way arrgghh.

Any way fab idea about the mesh underneath, never thought of that. I was going to put the hucthes in with the run so they can go in and out but at night i can put them to bed. Too scared to leave them to run around all night. I was thinking of a run about 8ft by 3ft would this be big enough or should i do it bigger, Im looking at my garden at the mo, and the place i was going to put them seems a little too wet, Also the leaves from the treein my neighbours garden fall in to that spot so thats not a good idea.

I need to measure i suppose and figure it out, i want to do it asap, i dont have a big garden but i dont care if the rabbits take it up xxx

i let my buns run free range when i supervise then in a run if i cant in garden. in run its only 6x6ft size attatched to a 6x3x3ft hutch. i would think 8x3 would be great. make sure its aroudn 2-3ft high too so they can stand up fully if you lay mesh ensure you turf over it so they dont get sores from it! :) x

i will cheers im getting so excited now, i havnt had these rabbits long and i didnt think i would love them as much as i do, they are my babis although Thumper seems in a grump with me today lol

Back