• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny Bum and Gurgly Tummy

CHH

Warren Scout
I took our 7 year bun to the vet this morning as he's had a runny bum for a few days. They've kept him in to clean him up and give him a course of jabs to slow things down a bit! He's got a long history of this but has been pretty good for the last 9 months or so.

Other than that he seems fine. He's eating and drinking normally and is still pretty active.

His usual diet is hay, Excel pellets and some carrot and brocoli. Is there anything I should be doing to change that?

Our other rabbits get exactly the same and they never show any signs at all of having the runs. It seems he just has a poor constitution :cry:

sometimes excel causes problems with bunnies as they find it a bit rich. People on here often have better sucess with Science selective or allen & page (obviously you have to swap over slowly over the course of a week or so you don't aggrivate his tum).

One of my bunnies has a similar problem at the moment. We have found fibreplex twice a day is really helping :)

He eats a lot of hay. As a rule, if he's not asleep he's eating hay :lol:

His teeth have always been very good although when the vet checked them this morning he said there were the initial signs of spurs appearing at the back. There was no sign of any problems with his mouth or tongue so he doesn't appear to be having problems with that yet.

I went to P@H today to see if I could get Science Select but they didn't have any. Any ideas where I can get it? I take it I should get the "mature" option for him and just continue giving the others Excel?

Thanks for your replies folks :D

Last edited:
Your vet will be happy to sell you Science Select mature i'm sure. Make sure you change over gradually. My buns love it :)

I've called the vet for an update and he's doing fine. Eating like a horse and doing top quality bunny poos! They're keeping him in overnight and we should get him back tomorrow lunchtime.

I found when Fudge was on excel everyday i had to clean her carpet and her bum and i couldnt handle it and neither could she.
I changed to A&P and she has been great on it and can now hav lots of veg :D
I hope you find something that works :wave:

I moved from Exel and SS to Oxbow Bunny Basics T and the improvements were great. Sometimes find that too much carrot has an effect sometimes. :roll:

On the odd time it becomes dodgy again (seems to be during moult time), a little bit of Fibreplex does the trick.

Just a wee update on this. His bum has dried up and his droppings are fine but he's obviously having problems when he has a pee. He's often wet and he's still a bit manky underneath. He's also a bit red and not sitting properly, presumably because it's uncomfortable to do so. Other than that he seems perfectly fine. He's eating, drinking and hopping round the garden as normal.

He's due back at the vet a week on Friday to be weighed but I'm tempted to take him back in tomorrow to have his rear checked. How much of his rear area is it safe for the vet to shave to try and help clear up the problem of him staying wet?

I'll maybe see if I can get a picture of his nether regions. It's not a pretty sight though :?

Just a wee update on this. His bum has dried up and his droppings are fine but he's obviously having problems when he has a pee. He's often wet and he's still a bit manky underneath. He's also a bit red and not sitting properly, presumably because it's uncomfortable to do so. Other than that he seems perfectly fine. He's eating, drinking and hopping round the garden as normal.

He's due back at the vet a week on Friday to be weighed but I'm tempted to take him back in tomorrow to have his rear checked. How much of his rear area is it safe for the vet to shave to try and help clear up the problem of him staying wet?

I'll maybe see if I can get a picture of his nether regions. It's not a pretty sight though :?

I'd definately take him to a Vet tomorrow. If he is wet from wee he may have a UTI or uroliths (bladder stones). EC can also cause incontinence.
He sounds as though he already has some urine scald which will be very sore.
As it is now much milder it is very important to do all you can to keep him clean and dry as he will be a high risk for Flystrike which can be fatal.

Will do, ta. He was checked earlier today for flystrike and seems ok. We've already discussed using Rearguard with the vet and we'll sort that this week I reckon.

He does seem to have a matted clump underneath and I presume that when he's having a pee it's just soaking the clump even more. I'll see if we can nab him and get a pic so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks.

Pics below. Apologies if you're about to eat!..........

DSCF6507%20(Small).JPG

DSCF6506%20(Small).JPG

This has been rumbling on for a week or so now and it needs to be sorted asap. Any suggestions would be appreciated. As I say, we'll be back at the vet again first thing tomorrow.

Good grief poor Bunny :shock: :shock: :cry:

He needs urgent treatment and personally if he were mine that would be tonight as he will be in so much pain :cry:

I am affraid to say that I am not convinced that Flystrike has not already occured :cry:
The maggots travel inside ..................

Please do try to seek Veterinary attention for him tonight. He needs antibiotics and pain relief aswell as Ivermectin (for the potential of Flystrike)

:cry:

Your poor Bun that looks so sore! :(
I agree with Jack's Jane, I wouldn't wait until tomorrow, I would get him checked ASAP.

Looks very messy. Just another warning about flystrike my bun got flystrike at the beginning of October a couple of years ago, not supposed to be any flies in October! Luckily we caught it in time and she survived although she had to have her tail amputated. So I would be very careful and keep checking your bun a few times a day until this problem has been sorted as flystrike must be a high possibility all the time bun is in this condition, especially as the weather has warmed up. I saw a bluebottle sunbathing on a leaf out in my garden the other day, yuk!:(

Sudocrem is very good for urine scald I use this on Honey as since the flystrike she does have a bald patch around her bottom and does occasionaly get a small patch of urine scald, but the Sudocrem works wonders and clears it up.

I now check my rabbits all over for flystrike, lumps, bumps and anything unusual twice a day and will continue to do so for ever. As I never want to see maggotts again on one of my buns it is disgusting.

Hope you can find out the cause and your bun starts to improve very soon. Let us know how you get on at the vets :w

Last edited:
I would contact your vets and see if they operate an out of hours service. As they have seen him recently they will be well-placed to discuss his problems in relation to his past medical history. Certainly he is going to be very uncomfortable until he is seen and it would be sensible to take him in tonight if this is possible. He will need cleaning up, the sore area treated and starting on pain relief and likely antibiotics as there appear to be some very inflamed areas.
As an elderly man with some problems already it is always better to get treatment as soon as possible. A vet visit will also provide some more information on how this has happened. It may simply be that he is uncomfortable from gut problems so hasn't been moving around much so sitting in one place and urinating there too, or he hasn't managing to get into a normal weeing position. There are some other medical problems that can cause abnormal urination, including some serious ones such as kidney problems or E. cuniculi infection. Unless a cause is found then there is no way you can try and stop this happening again.

Let us know how bun is? Glad to see you have taken him to the vets tonight I would have done the same.

That's us back and he's settled. They cleaned him up a bit and clipped away any hair that could be removed. He's to be cleaned up twice a day and have Flamazine cream applied. He's also to get 1.8ml Baytril once a day.

I was advised that he'll need to be cleaned on a daily basis from now on in and vaseline put on do help deflect the liquid.

I at least got some idea of why it's happening. She reckons he's either just peeing where he sits or not getting into the right position when he does a pee. Either way the area is staying wet. She put it down to old age!

While he was away being dealt with I noticed in his notes on the screen that he had mild urine scalding on 5th March. It's a bit disappointing that it wasn't mentioned to me then and that we weren't warned to keep an eye on that!! Both him and his wife (Sophie) are now indoors for the forseeable future to keep them away from flies and so that we can keep a very close eye on him.

I'll be making an appointment to take him back on Wednesday for a check up.

Thanks again for your help folks.

Back