• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Manuka Honey for use in Abcess.

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
Kermit has a facial abcess.
I have been reading about Manuka Honey.
Has anyone used this to treat abcesses? Also when should it be applied and is it fine to put it on without a dressing over it?
Thanks

I used manuka honey for an abcess and it did appear to help. I just dabbed some on but didn't cover it up.

Yes, I use it for treatment of abcesses's, I usually warm it first and then syringe it in

Thanks, ill get it tomorrow morning, im off work and there is a holland and barratt just down the road from me.

Its not easy getting pus out of an abcess ill tell you!

I've used that one too :D It cleared our Wilson's abscesses up great :D:D:D The more active properties the honey has the better - it works a bit like the higher the factor in sunscreen the more protectiong :lol:

I know it's horrible tying to get the pus out isn't it? yuk!!! I've also syringed some cool boiled water through as well before syringing in th honey - I then left it open & didn't put a dressing on it. Good luck & let us know how your little fella goes on.

I've used that one too :D It cleared our Wilson's abscesses up great :D:D:D The more active properties the honey has the better - it works a bit like the higher the factor in sunscreen the more protectiong :lol:

I know it's horrible tying to get the pus out isn't it? yuk!!! I've also syringed some cool boiled water through as well before syringing in th honey - I then left it open & didn't put a dressing on it. Good luck & let us know how your little fella goes on.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Got the honey - £25.

Was on offer in holland and barratt online, but not in the store.

Ah well, i would have paid £50 for it if it gets him some relief from that abcess.

I use manuka honey for sorrel's abcess, i think it has improved since i started applying it :)

I warm a tiny bit in a separate jar and slurp it up with a syringe...I'm pretty sure she licks off the bits that dribble out but hey ho!

hope it works for your bun

I have used the highest strength from Holland and Barret and applied it once a day with a clean dressing.Also clean the abscess site before applying the new dressing

Blimey! Thats expensive, I pay £6.99 for the Sainsburys Manuka Honey active 10.

I apply it directly to the wound and it's been healing Wilsons wound a treat. i literally drizzle it off a spoon onto the wound. It's been great. :D

I paid £20 for the UMF 20+ Manuka from H&B, I was told not to use anything less and 25+ is preferable.

Thanks alot eveyone.

I managed to get some honey in last night after picking the scab off and cleaning out the hole with hibiscrub squirted from a syringe. A bit of pus literally flew out at me - lovely!

There looks like there is still some pus in there at the sides of the abcess, but i just cant get to it....anyways kermit was fine letting me clean it out and putting in the honey, he only flinched a couple of times, but let me back at it. What a wee star he is!

I cleaned it out this morning and put some more honey in.

Just thought id give an update on the wee Manuka faced boy!

I had fab results on Milly's abcess using the honey. The last abcess she had the vet asked me to try treating with the honey alone rather than alongside the antibiotics as we had done previously. She cut the abcess site to enlarge the area so that we could get the pus squeezed out properly as the hole was healing up too quickly:)roll:). It also meant I was able to hibiscrub the wound really well and get loads of the honey shoved in before re-dressing it, every day. The abcess cleared up very quickly.

Back