• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help and Advice Needed Please

Princess Jess*

Warren Scout
Hello,

I have a 4 year old male dwarf lop (Marmite) who was neutered on monday 2nd. The reasons for me finally going through with it are because he was starting to spray and the smell was awful!! Also I really wanted to find him a companion to spend his days with. Last weekend, I adopted a female mini lop (Minka) who is about 11 weeks old. I'm hoping that she will be Marmite's new friend :D I am going to have her spayed before putting them together to eliviate any health problems and reduce her hormone levels!!

I had to take Marimite back to the vets today because his op site was swollen! He has been behaving so erratically!! I'm not sure if it's because he knows Minka is here now or its from having his bits removed. Any ideas?? He seems even more sexually charged than ever before and he's taken to nipping me when being held, which has NEVER happened before :? I'm starting to go through the motions that it was a REALLY bad idea having him altered!!!

How many weeks should Minka be before being spayed? How long after should I start the bonding process?

Any advice on how to begin the bonding process would be great. I have seen different ways of doing it...some people let the rabbits meet over several occassions over time and others put them together and leave them be as long as theres no worries with either of them.

Please help!! I seem to be spending most of my time worrying about my choices and feel I need a bit of encouragement!!!

Princess xxx

I'm not too clued up on boy rabbits, but i think it takes around 6-8 weeks for their hormones to settle after being neutered, which could explain his erratic behaviour. also if he can smell Minka it will be driving him wild!!! Make sure you get the scent of her off you before going near Marmite and it may help. Maybe have a change of clothes for each bun so not to get Marmite too excited!

It definately isn't a bad idea to have had him done. It means he'll be able to spend the rest of his bunny life with a bunny wife :love:

I'm sure there will be someone more knowledgable along soon.

Good luck!!:wave:

'The Op' removed the testicles which is where the hormones causing the hormonal behaviour like spraying are produced. It doesn't remove the hormones already released and flying around the body though so you'll need to wait a few weeks for those to go so you can see the effect of neutering. So don't panic! :D

Yay!!

Thank you :D I think I was all geared up for instant changes! Is there anything I can do for Marmite to ensure he recovers well etc? He's an outdoor bunny who's not too fussed on being indoors.

When I'm ready to start the bonding process between Marmite and Minka...am I right in thinking that swopping their scents is all part of the process? I think I should try to avoid this for now as this is probably driving Marmite wild!!

I'm hoping to have Minka spayed in 6-8 weeks which will make her 17-19 weeks. Is that about right??

Princess xx

Boys bounce back pretty quickly, just keep an eye on the site as your already doing :)

Vets vary with the age they spay girls. Some will do 4 months others prefer 6 months. If your vets rabbit savvy go with what they recommend :D

HI, I had my male rabbit done a while ago and it wasn't a 'instant' fix! He was very hormonal just before the op and had taken to biting and attacking me. After the op, it took a short while for Bug's to settle down but now he is a big softie. He always comes running over when I go out (my are all outdoor buns) and lets you stroke him etc and he hasn't biten or attacked me since the op. So, alongside the fact that he can live with his female partner, it has had big + for having him done.

Good luck with it all (can't help much with the bonding, as haven't done this really before but I am hoping to in the future, bonding my 2 pairs of buns altogether :) )

Bonding time!!

Marmite seems a little better today (fingers crossed) I gave him his antobiotics this morning, with some of it ending up on his face :? Hopefully we'll get the nack soon!!

I've checked his op site, which seems a little less swollen...he's still rampant as ever, but also very calm when you stroke him for cuddles. I let him have 20 minutes in his pen in the conservatory this morning while I cleaned his hutch. He was still very eager to escape :roll: He's gone back in his hutch now with clean bedding and fresh veg and hay!! He's still thumping...but thev vet says that's quite normal and just to ignore it.

Minka is doing really well :D she loves her food. She's in the pen now in the conservatory running in and out of her chube :lol: I just hope that the 2 of them will get on eventually...I hope they come to love eachother :love: heehee!!

How soon after having Minka done, should I think about bonding the two of them? I was told that it's best to have them facing one another in their hutches, so they are fully aware of one another and to swop them in the hutches to get used to the others scents. Is this right???

Princess xx

I was told that it's best to have them facing one another in their hutches, so they are fully aware of one another and to swop them in the hutches to get used to the others scents. Is this right???

Princess xx

As far as I am aware this is correct. I am not sure how soon after her spay you can start the bonding. You should definitely let her recover first before introducing them. I hope somebody with more knowledge can give you more detailed advise.

I am glad both your bunnies are doing well.:)

Well...Marmite's 2nd lot of antibiotics went much better today :) we actually managed to get it all in his mouth...much to his dismay :lol: He seems much better tonight, which is great...as I'm a terrible worrier!! My other half doens't understand as he's not that into the bunnies like i am. He thinks they are boring!!! :x How dare he!?!?! I know!!!

Minka is still very happy and VERY cute!! Its really weird cos I thought maybe Minka may get a little more attention from me initially cos she's new and little. But...my loyalties still lie with Marmite as he's my first born :D LOL

I have viewed loadsa vids on you tube of bunny match ups...and 90% seem to work really well...so fingers crossed for my 2.

Does anyone know how I can encourage Marmite to eat more hay???

Princess xx

Hi and welcome!:wave: If you give him less veg, he'll eat more hay, also try different varieties. You can mix a little bit with his normal hay to give him a treat to forage for.

Update

Marmite seems a little nore settled again today...However, he seems to have soooooo much energy since having the chop. Why is this?

Another successful dose of antibiotics this morning :D He's off to the vets tonight for his 2nd post op check :? I hope everything is as it should be!!

He seems to follow me everywhere at the moment...is that normal after op? I hope that this has all been worth it :oops:

Happy :)

Happy Bun=Happy Mum :D

Marmite had his check up with the vet today after his castration on monday! The vets really pleased with him...so no more vet visits for a while :)

He was sooooooooooo lovely when I brought him hom :love: I let him have a good run round the kitchen and hallway before putting him out in his hutch. He gobbled up his carrot (treat for after vets) and had lots of cuddles. He seems a lot more relaxed today-so hopefully this is the start of a wonderful future!!

Timothy hay is very good!! I have a bale of it in the shed...but he's still a bit lazy when it comes to eating it. Shall I limit his excel for a bit to encourage him to eat more hay??

Minka (my female lop) loves hay :) she also LOVES dried grass!! She searches for that in her rack :lol:

Back