• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Too cold?

maggyottermad

Warren Scout
hi guys,

i have my bunnies outside in hutch, i have put a thick layered tarp over top to stop rain and main wind.

but im worried at its so cold outside at moment! i have so much straw in the bed, and there is 2 of them, my mum thinks im soft, I AM but dont want them to suffer ofcourse.

its been mild, but with my luck the day i get them, the weather turns nasty!

what do you guys think?anyone else got their littuns in hutch outside?

thanks

Hi,

My Dylan lives in his outdoor hutch and has been living there all winter with his trusty hutch snuggle(Scratch and Newton) from P@H. :) Its his very own spaceship- Nasa proven!! I must admit I worried when winter set in as we have only had him since June, but he is very happy in his hutch....I now think, rabbits are originally born and bred in the outdoors so dont worry about him being outside. They are very tough animals....nice thick coats. I love my Dylan and would never leave him outdoors if I thought he was suffering. So dont worry!!:D

As long as they have a wind proof and dry shelter with lots and lots of hay in it they should be okay. If the temperature starts to go below -2 then I would start to worry.

You can buy snugglesafe microwave heat pads if you are still concerned. :)

think i'll get a snugglesafe, we used them in the vets, prob get one from there, cheers guys. they have seemed fine both mornings when ive gone to say hello and feed them 7am.

Its usually way bellow 0 here, all winter, and the buns do fine:lol:
I don't use snugglesafe either, as they'd most likely freeze within a few hours anyway and thus work against its purpose. :roll:

luckily it isnt too cold here but the hutches that are outside are sheltered and are covered over the front to stop any rain blowing in etc... as long as there is loads of bedding hay/straw, they should be fine.

Back