• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are any plants for the garden not attractive to bunnys?

albo

Warren Scout
I have 3 totally empty borders in my garden and am wondering if there is ANYTHING at all i can plant in there that my bun will not think is dinner for her....has anyone got any ideas of what i can put in there???

My buns are not too keen on rosemary and sage. Strong flavours and tough leaves. They will nibble it, but never demolish it like the rest of the plants.

FABULOUS...thats a start!!! Do normal garden centres sell them then??? can u tell Im no gardener...lol:D

My buns go mad for rosemary and sage, and lavendar and thyme and make a beeline whenever they are allowed near the herb border. Not sure that you would have these plants long before they got munched. I'd try your buns on them before you plant.

I certainly wouldn't plant any evergreens as most evergreens are toxic to bunnies. They wouldn't actually discern this and would still try and eat them - with the risk of making themselves poorly in the process.

oh.....i did a search online and came up with this list of rabbit resistant plants....what do u all think.....

Rabbit Resistant Plants:
Acanthus species (bear's breeches)
Aconitum species (monkshood)
Alchemilla mollis (lady's mantle)
Allium species (ornamental onions)
Alstroemeria (Peruvian lily)
Antirrhinum (snapdragon)
Aquilegia species (columbine)
Artichoke, globe and Jerusalem
Astilbe species
Bergenia species (elephant's ears)
Brunnera macrophylla
Cortaderia selloana (pampas grass)
Corydalis species
Crocosmia species
Cyclamen species (hardy cyclamen)
Dahlia (dahlias)
Digitalis species (foxgloves)
Doronicum species (leopard's bane)
Echinops species (globe thistle)
Eryngium agavifolium (sea holly)
Hemerocallis (day lily)
Lamium species (dead nettles)
Malva moschata (musk mallow)
Melissa officinalis (bee balm)

Mentha species (mints)
Muscari species (grape hyacinth)
Myosotis (forget-me-not)
Narcissus (daffodil)
Nepeta × faassenii (catmint)
Origanum vulgare (marjoram)
Paeonia species (paeonies)
Polemonium species (Jacob's ladder)
Polygonatum × hybridum (Solomon's seal)
Primula vulgaris (primrose)
Pulmonaria species (lungwort)
Rhubarb
Salvia × superba
Stachys byzantina (lamb's ears)
Trollius europaeus (globe flower)
Tulipa species (tulips)
Verbascum thapsus (mullein)
Verbena species
Viola odorata (violet)

Many on your list are poisonous to bunnies, including plants grown from bulbs, any of the onion family, and especially Digitalis species (foxgloves)

Don't know why you don't grow herbs or plants just for your buns!
I have lovely dandelions and herbs growing in my front garden borders which the buns love.
(I pick them for the buns, if I let them loose they wouldn't last the day!)

My back garden, where my rabbits run has been stripped of every living plant life....:roll:

ok.....if i was to plant some that would be bunny friendly then,what could I go for?

Any of the herbs that you use for cooking, dandelions, carrots (the tops look pretty) ornamental cabbage, lettuce, geraniums, pansies....

Oh, and some buns like to strip the bark off tree trunks too, so they don't survive long either!

Pasted from a bunny site....

HERBS FOR BUNNIES
With two more bank holidays coming up in May, and these two are the most popular for garden centre visitors I thought I would just list the various herbs that have medicinal properties that help our rabbits keep in tip top condition.

Parsley Mint Marjoram
Fennell Chervil Cotton Lavender
Sage Chives Chamomile
Lavender Thyme Sorrell
Agrimony

And don’t forget, a couple of Achillea millefolium (posh yarrow) wouldn’t go amiss either.

Vegetable seeds: Perpetual Spinach, Rocket, radish, chives, beans, carrots, All these can be grown in pots if you feel you don’t have enough room for a veg. plot.

OFF TO THE GARDEN CENTRE
If, like me, you cannot resist trips out to your local garden centre or other such shops I have constructed a list of rabbit friendly flowers and a list of what not to buy.

If you would like to deter your fluffs from demolishing your favourites, try growing them through tall stick plants such as Phlox, adding hurdles, or like me tempting them away by edging boarders with Geranium “endressii”. They enjoy the leaf of this plant so much that they just sit and stuff them selves and venture no further, unless of course you’ve got a “digging” doe.

Plants to grow: Asters, Borage, Calendula, Galega, Geranium, Geum (this plant is the “posh” version of the Aven weed and full of fibre), Helenium, Hollyhock (from the Mallow family) Honesty, Lupins (not the seed pods), Marguerites, Marigolds, Michaelmas Daisies, Nasturtium, Rose, Stocks, Sunflowers and Wallflowers.

Do avoid: Acacia, Aconite, Antirrhinum, Arum Lily, Anemone, Columbine, Daffodil, Dahlia, Delphinium, Feverfew, Gypsophelia, Hellebores, Hyacinth, Iris, Larkspur, Lilly of the Valley, Linarias, Lobelia, Love in a Mist, Monkshood, Poppies, Snowdrop, Tulips and all bulbous plants.

Happy gardening.

Pasted from a bunny site....

HERBS FOR BUNNIES
With two more bank holidays coming up in May, and these two are the most popular for garden centre visitors I thought I would just list the various herbs that have medicinal properties that help our rabbits keep in tip top condition.

Parsley Mint Marjoram
Fennell Chervil Cotton Lavender
Sage Chives Chamomile
Lavender Thyme Sorrell
Agrimony

And don’t forget, a couple of Achillea millefolium (posh yarrow) wouldn’t go amiss either.

Vegetable seeds: Perpetual Spinach, Rocket, radish, chives, beans, carrots, All these can be grown in pots if you feel you don’t have enough room for a veg. plot.

OFF TO THE GARDEN CENTRE
If, like me, you cannot resist trips out to your local garden centre or other such shops I have constructed a list of rabbit friendly flowers and a list of what not to buy.

If you would like to deter your fluffs from demolishing your favourites, try growing them through tall stick plants such as Phlox, adding hurdles, or like me tempting them away by edging boarders with Geranium “endressii”. They enjoy the leaf of this plant so much that they just sit and stuff them selves and venture no further, unless of course you’ve got a “digging” doe.

Plants to grow: Asters, Borage, Calendula, Galega, Geranium, Geum (this plant is the “posh” version of the Aven weed and full of fibre), Helenium, Hollyhock (from the Mallow family) Honesty, Lupins (not the seed pods), Marguerites, Marigolds, Michaelmas Daisies, Nasturtium, Rose, Stocks, Sunflowers and Wallflowers.

Do avoid: Acacia, Aconite, Antirrhinum, Arum Lily, Anemone, Columbine, Daffodil, Dahlia, Delphinium, Feverfew, Gypsophelia, Hellebores, Hyacinth, Iris, Larkspur, Lilly of the Valley, Linarias, Lobelia, Love in a Mist, Monkshood, Poppies, Snowdrop, Tulips and all bulbous plants.

Happy gardening.

This actually seems to say some plants that would be safe to grow!! Where did you find this informaiton? I'm so worried about planting stuff that is poisonous to the buns! :(

Would it be possible to have them in raised beds? So, the front bunny safe plants, the further back pretty plants in a raised bed? :wave:

My buns are not too keen on rosemary and sage. Strong flavours and tough leaves. They will nibble it, but never demolish it like the rest of the plants.

Two of mine love rosemary, and three of mine love sage ;)

Would it be possible to have them in raised beds? So, the front bunny safe plants, the further back pretty plants in a raised bed? :wave:

May be an idea, pretty substantial amount of work involved though... our fences wouldn't hold up raised bed and our garden is pretty big... putting fences around to stop buns getting into flowerbeds would look terrible... my partner just wants themt o stay in run, but they love having free run of the garden!! I don't mind them nibbling little bits and bobs here and there, but I really don't want anything to poison them! :(

Yes, please don't plant foxgloves. I learnt that many years ago the hard way :cry:

B&G both LOVE Rosemary & Thyme & Sage :lol:

Back