• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

entire male and neutered female poss bond?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
We have just taken on (about a month ago) a young male from a family that no longer wanted him . He was meant to be a she(!) and his testicles only dropped about a week after he came to us in fact. Because he was 'given' to me from somewhere that kept him locked up all the time he is very light for his size and age - His bones feel very light and he had no muscles when he came to us -and in fact appears a late developer. I suspect he was younger when originally sold than the pet shop told the purchasers (perhaps sold at 6 weeks).

I want him to be with us a while before I have him neutered to ensure he is totally fit and well and as strong as can be. (I once lost a rescue under anaesthetic).

However he is becoming very very bouncy and friendly now and obviously lonely so . . . mugs that we are we have arranged a possible girlfriend for him (I should say this will be bunny number 14 in our household!).
She is neutered (a couple of months ago) and is about a year old they think. She is coming from a rescue and the rescue say we should keep them seperate until he is neutered.

However I wonder why they think this is necessary? The fact he is not neutered will make him extra keen on bonding with her I suspect and obviously there is no risk of pregnancy. The only risk would be that he 'bothered' her too much - in which case I would seperate them again and keep them side by side in runs.

I do already have (as a result of his heart problem meaning no ops) another entire male housebun who is very happily living with a neutered female and he doesn't annoy her - though obviouly he ccassionally has a quick hump but she doesnt mind - and occassionally humps back!

SO the question is. . . should I keep the new neutered female apart from her new prospective (but at present entire) male husbun for a month while he wait for his op? Or is it alright to bond now and just go ahead with his 'op in a months time?

Any ideas/comments/experiences??

(PS I have bonded other combinations often - so general advice on how to bond not needed - just this dilema).

Hmmm I personally would keep separate until he is 'done'.
I can only say from my experience but every unneutered buck I've had has been a right randy so and so and I wouldn't want to put a doe in the situation where she has no urges at all cos she's speyed and yet she has an OH that wants it all the time! :oops:
Also given the time of year, spring and all that even my buns (who are all speyed/neutered) seem to be a bit more interested in the birds and the bees so goodness knows what they'd be like if they weren't done.
Also I think there is a greater risk of the doe taking offence to his advances causing a serious fight during a bonding.
I must admit in my opinion if I was a rescue, or indeed with my own buns, I would not put an unneutered buck in with a doe speyed or not! I just wouldnt want to on many levels.
Don't know if that helps!

Thats really useful - I have my suspicions that Parsley (my other unneuetered buck) is perhaps not really representative of male rabbits. he has a quick hump about twice a day - usually just before breakfast and again after dinner before falling fast asleep on his side. He's only a couple of years old as well we think - but I guess just very 'placid'.

So its good to have someone else's experience of unneutered males to go by instead!

However he is becoming very very bouncy and friendly now and obviously lonely so . . .

If this is the case I would agree with Fairy13 and wait until he is neutered. The last thing you want is a fed up female leaving you with an injured male.

I'd agree - I wouldn't do it either. I think there's a very high risk of a fight with the female getting so fed up with his advances - there is also a high risk that she will bite his 'bits' if she gets fed up with him humping her head as they have a tendency to do - and that would be very tricky and painful to mend!

Hopefully it won't be long before he's a bit bigger and stronger to be neutered :)

OOOUUUUUUCHHHHHH!!!!!

Shall definitely keep them seperate. Not sure my pet insurance covers penis re-attachment!!!!

Back