• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to disinfect a hutch thoroughly

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
Soon, when the weather picks up it will be time for oscar and polo to go back outside. They will be going back into their hutch and run but i want to thoroughly disinfect it before they go back inside. It has been sat empty for almost 6 months now. What disinfectant should I use and where is the cheapest place to buy it from? Ive already cleaned it once with diluted bleach but i want to use something better.

As most of you know Oscar and Polo both had nodular myxomatosis and were therefore brought inside where they fought the awful disease and won!

I have always been told that myxomatosis can not survive outside of its host so im not sure if I am just being completely paranoid but I would rather be on the safe side.

Thanks in advance.

Being empty and hopefully dry for 6 months is probably as good as anything - if the bacteria/protozoa/virus etc has nothing to live on, it won't survive for a very long time.

If you want to give it a go over anyway, have a look at the disinfectants on www.sphsupplies.co.uk there are a few there and they list the things they are known to be effective against. You could also look at one called F10 which vets use, maybe compare its 'effective' list to that of the others.

If the bunnies aren't going straight back in it and you can get it dried out, you could also give it a good swish round with some boiling water - that should also pretty much kill off anything that's there - living things tend not to like being covered in boiling water!

I have always been told that myxomatosis can not survive outside of its host so im not sure if I am just being completely paranoid but I would rather be on the safe side.

I always opt for the paranoid approach if I can :lol::oops:

Have no particularly useful advice - just the usual: bleach, Jeyes fluid etc but I am pleased to hear they are fully recovered & able to move back outside:)

ETA after giving it a good clean, redoing the wood stain or painting it inside might be worth considering too.

i've just disinfected a hutch and i first poured boiling water over all of it, then scrubbed it with jeyes fluid and thoroughly rinsed that and left it to dry. when it was dry i then scrubbed it with white vinegar, rinsed it very thoroughly and then when that was dry i sprayed it with johnsons cage and hutch spray.

i think this should be enough but other people might know of other things that would do a better job.

Back