• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A few questions!!

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Hey :wave:

Ok, so i have a few questions...

1) When Miss Jingles is out of her cage, if someone stands up she will immediately run to them and run round and round them, making a chuntering noise. She doesn't seem ditressed, cos often she'll do a binky part way round (threw herself into OH's legs yesterday :lol: ). Is this a mating thing that will/should stop once neutered?

2) She has an igloo/hideout thing in her hutch, shoul I take this out after her op? I read they shouldn't have access to things they could jump onto or off of.

3) Her poos are really small, and she doesn't seem to eat much... however, my only experience of rabbits was when I had Gilbert n Muffin for a month, and they were much older (Miss Jingles is only 6 months), plus there was two of them so a bit of a competetive element. Anyway, those two were greeedy guzzlers: hay, dry food, fresh food, it all disappeared instantly!
She didn't seem to be drinking much so I've given her a bowl as well as her bottle and that seems to have helped.
She's not eating much hay so I'm gonna go and get some a bit greener and fresher and start introducing that, see if that helps.
When I picked her up her mummy had bought her guinea pig food cos they had run out of rabbit food in Wilkos :? so I went and bought some bunny food yesterday, she only had one day of the guinea pigs stuff so it shouldn't be too much of a problem, should it?
And I give her a variety of fresh stuff, only the stuff she's had at home - sugar snap peas, carrot in moderation, broccoli (she loves!!) and spinach.

4) She has shredded documents and hay in the bottom of her cage, is that ok?

Last edited:
Answers in red font :)

Hey :wave:

Ok, so i have a few questions...

1) When Miss Jingles is out of her cage, if someone stands up she will immediately run to them and run round and round them, making a chuntering noise. She doesn't seem ditressed, cos often she'll do a binky part way round (threw herself into OH's legs yesterday :lol: ). Is this a mating thing that will/should stop once neutered?

Yes, it is 'flirting behaviour' and should stop a few weeks after she has been spayed.

2) She has an igloo/hideout thing in her hutch, shoul I take this out after her op? I read they shouldn't have access to things they could jump onto or off of.
Yes, she should be restricted to her hutch for 7 days after her spay and she should not jump up onto anything.

3) Her poos are really small, and she doesn't seem to eat much... however, my only experience of rabbits was when I had Gilbert n Muffin for a month, and they were much older (Miss Jingles is only 6 months), plus there was two of them so a bit of a competetive element. Anyway, those two were greeedy guzzlers: hay, dry food, fresh food, it all disappeared instantly!
She didn't seem to be drinking much so I've given her a bowl as well as her bottle and that seems to have helped.
She's not eating much hay so I'm gonna go and get some a bit greener and fresher and start introducing that, see if that helps.
When I picked her up her mummy had bought her guinea pig food cos they had run out of rabbit food in Wilkos :? so I went and bought some bunny food yesterday, she only had one day of the guinea pigs stuff so it shouldn't be too much of a problem, should it?
And I give her a variety of fresh stuff, only the stuff she's had at home - sugar snap peas, carrot in moderation, broccoli (she loves!!) and spinach.
I would advise you to ask the Vet to check her teeth. If she is a poor hay eater and has small poo she may well have some molar spurs. If she is used to free range grazing on grass that will be the best thing to help her teeth.
A pelleted feed would be better than a muesli mix. Her diet needs to be 90% hay so you could try getting some sample packs of different types of hay to see which ones she'll eat the most of.

4) She has shredded documents and hay in the bottom of her cage, is that ok?

Yes, as long as there are no staples left in any documents and she also has hay in a rack that she can much on.

Thank you Jane :D

She just did the most enormous yawn and her teeth look fine to the untrained eye, so I'm hoping it's nothing that can't wait til Friday when she goes for her spay. They said when I booked though that their dental machine (?!) is going away for repairs on friday though, so they could look but not treat. Will remember to ask the vet. Thanks :)

Back