• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can people foster...

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
...who have their own pet buns who have health problems?

i would like to foster in the future but my two have snuffles so i don't think i'd be allowed.

It's never been a problem for me (I have had bunnies with Pasteurella & EC) but I am very careful with hygiene to avoid cross contamination (wear disposable gloves, each hutch has own accesories and cleaning equiptment, regularly disinfect and so on).

Personally I have never found Snuffles as contagious as people previously led me to believe. There was also research sometime ago (2-3 years I think) that suggested some rabbits were born predisposed to developing snuffles and it often laid dormant until an immune crisis.

It's also worth remembering it works both ways, your bunnies *could* be exposed to something carried by a foster.

Thanks for your reply. I'd have to look into it more and get more information.

We rent and don't have any room inside, but we have a garden with room for a hutch and run for a foster bun/pair.

I'm guessing i would have to ask the landlady permission and talk more with a rescue nearer the time.

Back