• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

johnsons flystrike protector

Hmmm, personally i'd stick with something that i know works such as rearguard. Johnson's may be cheaper but you get what you pay for

yeh, i agree, just wondered if anyone would use it aswell as rearguard though.

i'm not sure about johnsons products since i used the teatree cream and matts skin went all red.

the cage and hutch spray is ok though, i use that.

What's the active ingredient? Apart from anything else I'd be vary wary about using more than one chemical on a bun without good reason, you possibly run the risk of them overdosing if it uses the same thing, or getting poorly from too many chemicals.

Personally I would stick to the veterinary one - if you have a rabbit with particular problems that make it more prone to flystrike you could chat with your vet about a fuller preventative strategy but if your bun is generally healthy without a sticky bottom, they aren't hugely at risk if their environment is kept clean, dry and relatively poop free...chemicals really are no substitute for thorough cleaning and bum checking :)

thanks. my buns aren't more at risk than others, i just wondered really. i'm a bit wary of using too many chemicals on them aswell.

I use it & have not had any problems with it but my buns aren't high risk....I'm just over cautious. Have never had skin reactions or any sign of problems after.

I use the Flyguard one on my buns. They have never had any problems so aren't in need of special care. If they had previous mucky bum problems etc then I think I would be asking for Rearguard at the vets.

Back